Anyone know if there is a list somewhere that provides a breakdown of SL residents by nationality?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

I'm an Aussie and read online somewhere that only 3000 Australians are in SL. That seems a very low head-count so I'd like to check the accuracy of the figure. I wonder if there is reliable data somewhere that I can refer to. I am sure people from other countries would be interested to know how many of their citizens are in SL too. 

Cheers,

Val gave you links to the last known figures from 2007 in your question on Answers but LInden Lab hasn't released any since then far as I'm aware. This link gives a complete split up of the top 100 countries in March 2007, but over the past five years, it's anybody's guess how things have changed.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxbDc4B2FH95Hz4WR2H56aw&gid=7

As you can see, Australia had 2.43% of active users in March 2007.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

LL doesn't release information like this.  They probably don't know themselves.  I wasn't asked my nationality when I signed up and going by IP addess is misleading.  I could be Chinese and living in Tahiti using an Australian proxy.

Interesting result from a 2007 survey, link below. 23% of residents in the sample group gave themselves a different nationality in SL to the one they actually are in RL. http://www.vintfalken.com/gmi-survey-sl-users-want-to-avoid-rl-reality/

Carmsie Melodie wrote:

Hi there,

I'm an Aussie and read online somewhere that only 3000 Australians are in SL. That seems a 
very

low head-count so I'd like to check the accuracy of the figure. I wonder if there is reliable data somewhere that I can refer to. I am sure people from other countries would be interested to know how many of their citizens are in SL too. 

Cheers,

I don't know the current rate schedules for Internet access in Australia but I do know many deal with metered service.  When I was there three years ago I quickly maxed out my families allowance just uploading my daily pictures.  What I gathered from them at that time that 'unlimited access' was very expensive and I suspect that had I been logging in to SL it would have been costly.

From 2007 to 2009, BigPond maintained their own Island (Continent) in SL and only if you logged in with their service could you get unmetered access to Second Life.

BigPond pulls plug on Second Life

Thanks for all the replies .. i guess this info is simply not "out there" and even if it was it could be unreliable. pity - it would be interesting to know. In terms of Aussie internet pricing. things have advanced. I have 24/7 Telstra internet access for a reasonable (although not cheap) monthly fee. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.