What Equipment do i HAVE to have in my club for a dj?...

Syndee Greymyst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ik they need to be able to control the stream...  as far as bare minimum what do they need... like... will a TV or radio work..or do i HAVE  to buy a dj booth......which ever it is, what do i need to make sure it can do? as far as if they just play music or if they actually mix it will be up to the Dj what they want to do.

2 answers to this question

Hi Syndee. You don't actually really HAVE to have a special equipment in your club as long as your DJs can take the stream (simply on the land sound tab for instance: they'll have to be in your group for that). Lots of clubs don't display any equipment at all.

However, systems like Shoutcast/Icecast are very popular in many clubs. They allow your DJs to take the stream (a notecard dropping system in the shoutcast makes the machine "remember" and recognize the DJs), they display the DJ's name, what song is being played and the other to come). This is very convenient for the audience, plus lots of DJs love these systems and are familiar with them (or will have to become familiar with). Have a look on the marketplace, you will find many of them. Do go to the merchants's stores inworld to get technical information before purchasing anything. (We are not supposed to promote any specific store in this Answers section, but I have to say SHX is undoubtably the leader for those equipments).

You can also have a schedule board displaying all your DJ's gigs by name, date and hours.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/9472

As for DJ booth, it's all for decor and gestures. Most clubs don't even have one (plus they are generally awfully expensive). It can be fun to have one to add a realistic touch to the DJ's performance, but it is not mandatory and doesnt bring a real plus regarding music streaming.

To finish, I would suggest you visit several clubs to see what they use: this could inspire you. Go to the most popular ones, see different genres. The Destination Guide is your best friend to get a general idea.

• Like 1

You actually don't need ANY equipment.  All that is necessary is that the DJ be able to change the land's audio stream setting to their stream URL...or you can do that for them, if you're present.  But giving them this ability is prudent, in case the stream needs to be re-set sometime during the session.  One convenient way to handle this is to create a specific group role in your land group for "DJ", with the appropriate group abilities, then add the DJ to your group.

An SL radio with the ability to tune a specific URL is a handy tool.

A DJ booth is just a visual prop.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.