Uploading Mesh model and I can see two faces missing

Gromlok Landar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Gang,

Once again, I'm back looking for answers and using as much common sense as possible.  I uploaded a model, I made sure that it was exactly as I wanted it, once in SL though, seems theres 2 pieces missing for faces on the design, I can see right through it.  I went back into 3ds Max and verified that the faces are there and sure enough they are, I checked to see if the vertices were welded together and they are.

Do I have to upload it again ?

G

Hello Gromiok,

Did you check to see if the faces/normals may have gotten flipped? Sometimes they can get flipped the wrong way and cause them to be invisible in world. Faces are only one sided.

Double check that the faces are going the right direction in your modeling program

Yes you will have to upload it again. It is always good to test this stuff on the beta grid

My first guess would be you used 10 materials instead of the allowed 8. SL simply ignores everything over 8.

Could also be a connection issue, lost packets can cause anomalies in a mesh, such as spikes or holes.

The first would leave you with entire materialised parts missing, the second probably with some very random patches.

Well its only one material, one uvw map and I haven't had any net problems or errors.  Everythings running fine, flipping...hmmm I don't see it flipped in 3ds Max anywhere's and I tried it again, same problem.  I did a patch up job instead, lets hope there won't be more of these.

G

It could be packet loss. That's more likely to occur in objects with a lot of geometry. No idea how complex your model is. Connection issues don't have to be at your end, so a stable internet connection doesn't guarantee a perfect transfer of data.

The easiest way to check if your normals are facing the correct way in 3ds max is turning on backface culling. It's in the object properties, or when you let the layer control those, in the layer properties. (it's what I did in the upper picture in my previous post where I detached half a box)

Well the model isnt complex at all, its just an outer hull shape before I start doing intricately details designing inside the model itself.

and I suppose the same applies when a uvw map doesnt place itself properly on a model as well, since I just had that happen and no I didnt touch the repeats, causes the texture to slide at only two specific areas on the edge face

G

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.