UV optimization in Blender

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have modeled a window with a handle, where the handle is a separate object. The handle has a curvy shape, thus I have applied a subsurf modifier in order to get the result I want.

The handle is a rather small object so I wonder if it's better to join the two objects together and have a single UV map. However, if I join the objects the subsurf modifier is applied to the window as well and the result is not what I want.

Can anyone suggest what is the best way to proceed? Should I just keep the two objects separate?

Assuming someone doesn't have a method to combine the two mesh objects into one (within Blender), you could consider keeping the two objects separate, BUT let them both share the same texture inworld.

UV-map the window first, and assuming there is sufficient empty UV space left over, you could then UV-map the handle to utilise this empty space within the same texture. Care would need to be taken to ensure the separate objects' UV areas don't overlap and have sufficient UV "moats", but that should be easy enough to do if you use the unwrapped window UV-layout as a background image whilst mapping the handle mesh.

I do this kind of thing often, using up as much texture space as possible in large build projects - little mesh objects often don't need much texture detailing, and can share empty texture spaces from other UV-mapped objects. It reduces texture "wastage" so to speak.

Each mesh will only utilise the texture space defined by their respective UV-maps. So this method can be quite useful for very efficient textures, especially when densely packed with multiple UV maps.

:matte-motes-smile:

EDITED TO ADD: Something important to consider, however, is that any textures that utilise alphas should be kept TOTALLY SEPARATE from any "solid" textures (semi-transparent glass textures, for example). SL mesh doesn't like textures with alpha channels too much, unless used with careful planning (glass in a window mesh, for example, should be isolated to its own material, allowing it to use a separate texture with an alpha channel. Generally being a flat object, mesh glass could be usable in this fashion).

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.