Making a Mesh Door archway walkthrough

Gromlok Landar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the most difficult things I have ever had to do in mesh when importing to SL is to make a doorway walkthrough where there's no binding box.  I definitely dont want to make the mesh archway then set it to phantom and then add SL prims inside the archway so that a person doesn't go through the entire pillars around the archway.

Anyone know exactly the steps on doing such a beast or even point me in the right direction ?

Gromlok

Providing you uploaded it correctly. After you upload and rez it in world. Right click on it and chose edit. in edit mode, go to the Features tab and change the physics shape from Convex hull to PRIM

If you do not have the prim option. you need to set up the upload so that the physics shape is a solid in the physics tab on the uploader. ...

• Like 2

To make something have holes in it, like doors and windows that you want avatars to be able to walk/fly through, or stairs for that matter inside a multi-story mesh, you need to define a physics shape for your mesh.

The easy way to think of physics shape is as if you did what you said - making regular box prims to define the physics, only you can do this with simple planes (for example) that define the areas you want to be solid.

I suggest you try an easy case - take a box, cut a door hole into it, and then come up with a physics shape that matches, and test that on the beta grid. Once you can do that, you should be able to extrapolate from there and do just about anything.

A small warning - if you're using a current blender (2.64 series) then make sure you go through your physics shape and check all your faces that have more than 4 sides - I've found that sometimes blender will triangulate that for you in ways that you don't want and for me, that resulted in a doorway that I couldn't walk through :)

Good luck!

I made the attempt, made a simple doorway with 24 vertices, made the bounding box shape to the doorway a little larger than the actual doorway, chose solid, retain 84% of the design, also chose above LOD, imported to SL, tried to walk through it, unsuccessful.

Grom

P.S. Should I be selecting Wrap or surface instead of Solid ?

after you imported it and rezzed it in world. did you edit it and change the physics shape from convexhull to prim on the features tab like I stated above? if you added your own physics shape to the physics tab of the uploader. just set it to solid. on step 2 and do nothing else. 

I dont think you even need to chose solid with your own shape but  wont hurt to chose it either I dont think. I never tried...

• Like 1

Gromlok Landar wrote:

Selected Prim and it actually does make it walkthrough, so it seems that the binding box needs to be shaped to fit the design, so if im making a wall with 6 windows, I need to shape the binding box the same as the wall and windows am I correct ?

Grom

This depends upon the model, you may not need that level of complexity. Will avatars need to go inside the windows? If you have ledges then it may be a yes, if the windows are pretty flush with the walls, you probably don't need to worry about the windows when it comes to collisions.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.