Discussion Group: Business in Second Life

bk99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sunday Business Roundtable Discussion- 6:00 to 8:00 PM SLT

Exchanging ideas about business life in the Second Life. What are the ingredients for a successful business in SL? Is it still possible? What markets are hot? What markets are struggling? And how do we know all of this?

Hosted by SLBR Editor Bill Kaye

Come chat at The Beanery.

If you can't make it, we encourage you to post here.

Thanks Darrius. I did consider that. You're right. I was concerned that it may be perceived as spam. I've reached out to some group moderators to ask their permission first. Since this is our first meeting, hopefully the intent of the discussion will not be perceived as such in the future. This discussion is designed as a genuine attempt to spark discussions about the SL community.

Tiffy Vella wrote:

I'd appreciate it being mentioned in the group as well as here. Hell, we all had to listen to heaps of crap in that group today, and your announcement would have been welcome.

Like what, Tiffy?

In general I find this forum vastly better informed than the inworld group.

bk99 wrote:

Sunday Business Roundtable Discussion- 6:00 to 8:00 PM SLT

Exchanging ideas about business life in the Second Life. What are the ingredients for a successful business in SL? Is it still possible? What markets are hot? What markets are struggling? And how do we know all of this?

Hosted by SLBR Editor Bill Kaye

Come chat at The Beanery.

If you can't make it, we encourage you to post here.

I am kind of committed to THIS forum being the place to go.

Thank you both for the response. There was a small turnout since it was the first meet, but this event will take place every week. To attract more people, I will post in some of these groups at the discretion of the group owner to avoid spamming. If any one has a group or a friend that they would like to relay the message, please do.

Of course, there's no way we can ever contain exchange that should take place about business life in SL to a two hour event. People have RL schedules. When they're in-world, especially as a business owner, they may not have the luxury of time. So I say why not do both? Let's keep the discussion alive here. And I'll try my best to relay what is talked about in each meeting. And to advance the discussion, I'll bring what we learn here to the meetings. Maybe we'll host more if there's an interest. All I ask, is to remain civil in debate.

-We tried to ask the point-blank question people resist asking: what's the best

Sorry all. Didn't realize my message had gotten cut off.

This week we started with basics:

-For our newcomers, we explained the difference between the LL business model and the virtual economy.

-We talked about what industries in SL are the most dominant--clearly real estate and fashion are two of the heavy hitters. But from a money-making perspective, real estate is said to be slow right now. Plus it runs a great investment risk. Considering the widely reported private region losses, this may be an unappealing market at the moment. On the flip side, land prices are supposedly down right?

Though we didn't touch on this at the time, I would like to have discussed what type of influence the finance sector plays in today's SL economy. When banking was outlawed, many heavy investors withdrew, shrinking the economy. The finance sector does still exist, though obviously not in the form it once did. What role does it play now?

--For our newcomers, I mentioned that even though scripting doesn't easily classify as an industry so much as a trade or craft, it is possibly the best way to make money with the least amount of risk and overhead. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Or any of the above for that matter.

It is true that the Markets that are flourishing are the ones that really connect with the average user on Second Life, reasons why the fashion industry or the real estate market is flourishing  is due to one particular source, and that its because it gives the users the feeling of "belonging". A home ( Estate ) and Beautify ( praise ) . But then again the real Estate market is slowing down, because rates are too high and tier payment is becoming a burden. Users come on SL to enjoy an experience that they could not have otherwise grasped in the real world, so if theres a barrier that prevents them of reaching that which they desire ... Then of course the market will slow. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.