need help with a graphic problem

Angel Zero

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

my firestorm viewer started acting odd last night the textures around me started moving and my menus and text boxes blanked out here's an example of my screen i took before logging off

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj581/AngelZero3171/myviewerscreen.jpg

my tower has a chipset not a card and sl is the only thing giving me trouble so far it's using Intel(R)  Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family

3 answers to this question

Bad news.  It looks like your graphics card is dying.  It's not easy to say whether it has been overheating -- a likely cause, especially if you haven't been cleaning dust out of your computer on a regular basis -- or whether it's just getting old.  When you start getting random images and colors like that, though, it is having serious trouble.  Before you give up on it completely, try downloading current drivers to see if that helps at all. 

Mac drivers are included with OS upgrades. However, to determine what card you have, select “About this Mac” from the Apple menu, then click “More Info”. Under Hardware select Graphics/Displays
If you are not sure what type of video card you have, use GPU-Z found (win only) here. For linux, in a console use: lspci | grep VGA

Nvidia Video Driver

• Latest driver Last checked Sep 25th- Windows: 306.23 (Sep 13) beta: 306.02 (Aug 27) - Linux: 304.51 (Sep 24)

ATI Video Driver

• Latest driver Last checked Sep 25th- Windows and Linux: 12.8 (Aug 15)

Intel Video Driver

• Intel driver download page Intel does not have a universal driver set. Please go to Intel's site and select the appropriate download.
  • Like 1

If you have a bit of spare money and are reasonably handy mechanically you might want to look at getting an inexpensive slot-mounted video card, installing it and bypassing the built-in graphics. Even an inexpensive plug-in card is going to give you much better performance in SL and it will also extend the effective life of your computer if you can bypass your built-in graphics before it completely fails.

Angel Zero wrote:

[....]

my tower has a chipset not a card and sl is the only thing giving me trouble so far it's using Intel®  Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family

That's not too surprising.  SL is probably the most demanding program you have on your computer.  In normal operation, it puts a heavy enough load on a graphics card to generate a lot of heat.  I monitor my own GPU's temperature all the time.  When I'm in world, the temperature goes up by two or three degrees C, even though my fans speed up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.