Since I upgraded to Second Life version 3.4.0.264911 some of my image textures

Seraphim Placebo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Since I upgraded to Second Life version 3.4.0.264911 some of my image textures (I have a gallery) that were perfect previously, now look like crap, frankly. They are not so much pixillated as somehow trianglated/blurry on most curved lines (bit hard to explain). It is not all my images, and not any since the upgrade, there seems to be no pattern. I have tried re-uploading the images, didn't fix them. I have tried every combination of graphics and hardware adjustment, tried re-installing the viewer, several times, nothing has worked. Has anyone got any idea what the problem is?

This is what it looks like.  All lines in this image were perfect curves before this problem, now blurry and fragmented.

the problem

My OS is Mac OS X 10.6.8 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo with a  NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 graphics card. Unfortunately they do not seem to make driver updates for this card for Mac.

Clearing the cache made no difference, nor did a complete uninstall/reinstall

October 6 

I thought I'd fixed it by reinstalling viewer 3.3.4.264214. Everything was perfect again... until I logged out then in again, only to find everything was crap again.

Turning off HTTP Textures didn't work, either.

October 7

Seem to have fixed it by installing the Firestorm viewer. I have to say wow! Not only did it fix this annoying problem, but everything is noticeably sharper, and richer in colour. I've been in SL for nearly 3 years and always assumed the default viewer was the best option, perhaps that's not the case. Hopefully thats this problem sorted. It's only the 3rd real problem I've had in SL, so I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the suggestions from the 3 people who answered. If nothing else I now know more about my graphics card than I did and have re-familiarised myself with the preferences tab.

3 answers to this question

It really sounds like they are not fully rezzing. Maybe something stalling in the viewer..

Maybe try turning on HTTP Textures or turning it off if it is on.. Hit ctrl-alt-Q and that will give you the develop menu up top in your menu bar.

Open Devlop and scroll down and Look for "HTTP Textures"... If it has no check mark. Turn it on and relog.. If it does have a check mark then uncheck it and relog...

If you have already tried that then I am sorry..

Could you give us the specs of your Computer including the video card? Nvidia had a new update the other day for their drivers... There may be one for yours...

Good luck I really hope you get it sorted. Keep in mind. Our hardware doesn't last long either... You might try other games and see how it reacts to their games....

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Seraphim.

It would be useful to see exactly what you're seeing.  Can you please upload a screenshot/photo of your problem? 

To add more to this thread, please click on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit".  To upload a photo, you need to click on the icon that looks like a little tree, halfway along the menu bar at the top of your post.

You say you have "tried every combination of graphics and hardware adjustment", so I am assuming you have got the latest drivers installed for your graphics card.

It has nothing to do with that upgrade, IMO.  Several of us, using different viewers, have noticed the same thing happen to a few of our own uploaded textures over the past couple of months.  (See comments by KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga and others in this thread, for example >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Building-and-Texturing-Forum/Lost-textures-turning-white/m-p/1674907#M7439 . )  I have had random textures become blurry and somewhat pixelated as you describe.  I usually resist clearing cache as much as I can, but I have found that doing it clears up the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.