SL crashing during startup

sleezyscoundrel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the last few days, when I go to sign in to SL, using Firestorm, my viewer has been crashing. The load up goes as far as "initializing texture cache" before, what appears, to lock up. I've tried reinstalling Firestorm (the latest version) and have gone as far as restarting my computer and repeating the process. When I attempt to log in, the crash report comes up immediately, telling me that the problem is somewhere at the beginning of the load up...the texture notice then shows and thats all she wrote.

I realize this is just a users forum and not true tech support. I'm hoping someone here  has had the same problem and am curious to how they remedied it. In the meantime, I'm using Phoenix for my excursions and travels.

I thank all in advance.

EDIT: If I were to make adjustments in preferences in one viewer (Phoenix), would those changes show in another viewer (Firestorm). Perhaps if its involves a simple preference change, I could fix the problem as such?

1 answer to this question

Yes, you've wandered into our resident-to-resident Answers area.  We may not be LL techs, but we have actually been in world and used the viewers for a few years.  That has to count for something.. :smileytongue:

It sounds as if you have somehow borked your user settings files.  Reinstalling the viewer itself won't solve the problem, because those files are in your AppData area, not in the Programs folder with the exe file and the various dll files.  The way to fix it is to do a clean reinstall, which is what the Firestorm folks recommend normally anyway.  Here's how >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall

Since you asked, no, you can't expect that by repairing the user settings or Preferences files for one viewer that they will make any difference to others.  Be glad that they don't.  Each viewer packages those settings differently, and adds some that are unique to that viewer.  When you do that clean reinstall, you'll see that there's a set of files in the AppData area labelled Firestorm and another set labelled Phoenix (maybe one for V3 if you have had that installed). 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.