Will this laptop run Second Life without lagging?

Maddie Macalroy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'LL ONLY BE USUING IT FOR SHOPPING, HANGING OUT WITH FRIENDS AND VERY LITTLE ELSE.

I'M NOT A HARDCORE GAMER ON SL ONLY SOCIAL.

It's called the Acer Platinum Silver here's a photo of it:

**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://www.brighthouse.co.uk/Global/amended%20images/ACER_SilverPlatinum_Laptop_316x311.jpg" border="0" alt="Acer Platinum Silver 15.6" Laptop" />

Specs:

• 15.6" HD Widescreen
  • INtel Core 13-2357M Processor
  • 8GB RAM
  • 500GB Hard Disc Drive
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64
  • DVD Super Multi
  • Shared Intel HD Graphics
  • 3.0 (10x faster data transfer) USB
  • Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
  • Premier Family Software Suite included

Will this laptop run SL in a bearable condition?

2 answers to this question

Probably not... you need a laptop with a graphics chip beyond the HD Graphics, which is optimized for video.

NVIDIA provides better OpenGL support than ATI, which SL uses.

Otherwise, the computer specs are pretty good.

SL runs far slower than most other games. So, if you get great frame rates in other games, you are likely to be disappoint with performance in SL.

What you need for running SL depends on what you like to do in SL. If you are into shopping, exploring, dancing, social activities, and creating products or services for SL a moderate computer is fine. Something with an i3 or i5 quad core CPU and an NVIDIA 400 series or higher. Even 200 series and up will work. 240 or 260...

If you are into sailing or various vehicle use and photography you'll want more computer but can get by with moderate.

When you start racing or playing in combat games, you'll want a high end computer. i5 and preferably i7 CPU with all the cores you can afford. Get NVIDA 500 series or better. 560 or 660 and up. The 60, 80, or 90 part is important.

Whatever you get, pay attention to the memory speed. 8GB is fine, but SPEED is the most important. You want the fastest memory chips your computer can use. In Laptops it can be hard to swap out memory chips and expensive. In some models it is easy and cheap. You have to look at the manual to see if you have to disassemble the unit to replace all the memory. Some have easy expansion addon, but base memory is hidden deep inside in some cases. To get faster memory that often has to be replaced too, making difficult. Call sales if you are getting it online and talk over memory upgrades.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.