Interesting Idea: Local Creation

H3xx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So here's an interesting Idea. You can preview an animation by selecting Play locally, which only plays the animation on your client, and not letting others see it. Why not extend it to everything involved with creation. Creat a local inventory, that is loaded only on the client machine. You can build and rez local objects in any sim, without increasing sim load because the changes are taking place only on the client.

This would allow the testing and perfecting of mesh, animation, and textures without racking up huge expenses It could also be used to make changes to an inworld building without having to shut it down for updates. A club owner could redesigne the club and see how it would look with people in it, and the patrons could go about their own business with no problem.

And it could also be used for scripting, allowing partical effects to be tested without disturbing other builders, A weapon builder could test an auto targeting turret without actually killing the other residents.

It could also be integrated into the upload system by adding the choice to upload to SL. Right now the only workaround to this Idea is to use a local Opensim region to test and make sure it all works, but Opensim doesn't work exactly like SL, so it's ineffecient to do so.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and Ideas on this.

Yep, OpenSim is a bit lacking in some features, although I do some testing and sketching on my little local set up to see if an idea is worth pursuing.

Here? well for textures at least there is the local texture option I guess - its the same as a temporary one and scripts are free. If you worry about bothering others with partical stuff, go somewhwre thats empty or get your own sandbox.

Better, however, if you really want to experiment to your hearts content without racking up charges - head to the beta grid. It has all the features (and then some) plus you get a nearly inexhaustable supply of L$ to cover uploads( not transferrable to the main grid alas =^^=)

That would be a really useful concept - there are a few problems with your idea as it stands now.

Unlike animations, which are only played by your viewer, most things in SL are closely tied to the server and I don't think it would be possible to have temporary elements in an in-world sim that didn't effect the server. However, it may be possible to have a "shadow" of an area you have build rights for on your computer that you could make changes to and which would only be accessible by your avatar. You could experiment and then sync to the actual grid when you're happy with it. It could run with a simplified version of the server software that wouldn't need to take into account other avatars or regions. I'd be interested in seeing a simplified building program similar to the one used in The Sims which could run on a client computer too.

I think the big concern with this is security and property rights because most people are actually using elements and objects created by other people. - "copybotting" got started with a program originally meant to allow people to back up their builds on their computers. You'll probably need to keep a connection to the asset servers rather than actually having your items copied to your computer.

Like I said, though, the basic CONCEPT is a reall good idea - especially for testing ideas and being able to undo changes, which is very difficult in SL right now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.