Ive been having trouble with staying on second life. im always being logged out? whats the problem?

Wilow Graves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

its been a long time since ive been back on second life and now im finally back and ever since i came back ive been having all kinds of prpblems. im always being logged out, my avator takes forever to appear and when it does im eather being kicked off again or it crashes. i dont know what the prblem is if its my computer, my graphics driver, or second lifs its self. im hopping to get help on this issue and be able to enjoy SL like i used to. what is the problem and how can i fix it? thank you. 

Ok i went to my SL log in page and copied the info that was suggested in the about Second LIfe. I hope this helps:

Second Life 3.3.4 (264214) Aug 31 2012 06:30:36 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz (2199.93 MHz)
Memory: 254 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel 845G

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4020
OpenGL Version: 1.3.0 - Build 4.14.10.4020

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

as far as any other problems im having its mostly just being kicked off as soon as i log in or even before im even logged on to my location i get logged off. i hope the information i posted helps. anything eles needed just ask. thank you.

12 answers to this question

The only thing I know from your post is that you are having a problem with SL (specifically, staying connected).  I can't help or even suggest anything for you to do (except maybe some generic things to try that are, in all liklihood completely irrelevant to your problem).  You want help then you are going to have to help anyone to might be able to help you.  A good start is some computer specifications (something that is so basic that I really have a hard time understanding why people don't even try to give).

Launch your viewer (no need to log in).  Under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  Copy and paste the specs shown on the first tab of the dialog box that opens.

Don't start a new thread.......use the "Options" in the upper right corner of you post and "Edit".  Also give any other information that you think might help others help you.

I've been having the same problem. I am new here and I am well above the recommended requirements but every time after I log in I keep getting dropped and have to restart secondlife to get back on. Is there a auto-relog? Is there some kind of issue going on? Ive been trying for a while and I dont see anything on the status page.

Second Life 3.3.4 (264214) Aug 31 2012 06:30:36 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (2812.75 MHz)
Memory: 8190 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1114
OpenGL Version: 4.2.11399 Compatibility Profile Context

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

It's really tough trying to help people who have problems when the problem discribed is all over the place. Getting disconnected from the servers (logged off) is very different from crashing. Wilowl is the person who I was addressing. Then you jump in with your problem......your discription sounds like a lost connection problem. Her's.......I think it's a lost connection problem but I can't say for sure. Piggy backing on someone else's question only adds confusion for everyone.....especially the person asking the original question. Why not start your own question so that it's two distinct threads....not some jumbled mess that threads with other people chiming in with "I've been having the same problem". You may be having the same problem but you also may not. Like I said just a few sentences ago......it's tough trying to help. It's near impossible when anything I (or someone else) might offer as help and the OP doesn't know if it's for her or the piggy backer.

My suggestion for you is reboot your modem and router.

Hi Willow. You're using an old integrated Intel 845G chipset and Second LIfe's current viewers have moved beyond that limited graphics capability. The old 1.23 viewer is no longer available but perhaps you could run Phoenix (not Firestorm) or Singularity viewers. You really should be thinking of getting a new computer with a good discrete graphics card if you want to play Second Life.

Thanks Nyil. I was starting to think that my grahpics card was the problem but i wasnt sure bc my computer is always slow. I would like to get a new computer i have a birthday comming up in just a couple weeks so im hopping for one. but in the mean time is there a way to download a newer chipset that will work for SL? if so can i have a link for one and if not then thats ok. and whats the Phoenix and Singularity Viewers? Thanks for the help. anyone eles here has anything eles to add please feel free. thank you.

Well after seeing those specs I can certainly understand why you can't stay on SL.  In fact, I'm fairly amazed that you have even been able to log in even one time.

Your system memory (RAM) is about 3/4 below of any system I've heard of in quite a few years........250 MB is not going to do the trick.  And to make things worse you have a very old onboard Intel graphics accellerator that has no dedicated memory (which means all the graphics memory has to come from your system RAM and there is barely enough to run your computer at all.....they don't even make the 845G chipset anymore (and haven't for years).  I don't know if your graphics driver is current or not but my bet is there isn't a driver for a 845 chipset available that is more current than about 4 years or so (that's being optimistic too).  Your graphics only supports OpenGL 1.3.......I believe SL is using OpenGL 3.x by now (but I can't be sure).  The current OpenGL version is 4.x.

How old is that computer?  With specs like that I'm thinking close to 10 years.  It's time for a new computer, I'm afraid.  Without something more powerful, I don't think you can enjoy SL at all.  It sounds as if you can log in once in a while (which I find quite amazing) so count your blessings........but the computer will not work for SL.  Sorry for the bad news.

thanks peggy and thats ok. i was expecting bad news bc yeah my computer is old. i just need a new tower. my moniter is new (only about 3 years old). im hopping to get something new soon. i have been able to log in sometimes but then i get kicked off. i had a feeling it was my graphics driver but wasnt sure bc i havent been on SL in a very long time. i just now finally got back to it. i didnt know about all the changes until just recently. thanks for the help and im keepng my fingers crossed for something new soon lol. i did just download phoenix but its kicking me off to as of right now but im gonna keep trying and that keeps up i'll get rid of it and try the other suggestion and them i'll just give up until i get a new computer i guess. anything eles is still welcomed. i apprieate anything that can be suggested. thanks again.

Well you can't replace the integrated chipset but you could see if there is a newer driver for your chipset by running the Intel driver update utility at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?redire​ctor_count=1&

Probably won't make a huge difference but perhaps worth a try.

Phoenix is available here http://www.phoenixviewer.com/

Singularity is available here http://www.singularityviewer.org/

If getting a new computer you can post details of what you intend buying in a new thread if you wish and ask for advice on how well it is likely to run Second Life prior to purchasing.

thanks Nyil. i tried the intel driver update before and it didnt work but im gonna try again. the phoenix i did download and it seemed like it was gonna work just fine but it keeping me off to. im gonna keep trying it and if it doesnt work i'll replace it with singularity and try that. i'll post about the new computer when i ened up getting one. i would like a new version of windows when i get one. i'll keep you guys posted. thanks. :)

I don't know what your budget might be (or the budget your friends/family may have for your birthday (BTW, hope you have a happy one :) ) but I did a quick Newegg.com search for desktops and found a few that might be what you want (my idea is something that is okay but not fantastic and has the ability to be upgraded later if you want). I found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103411

It's not anything near a high end computer but it does have limited capability for a few upgrades later (such a better video card and more system RAM). The price seems to be very attractive at $449.99 USD with free shipping. It's a good starter and will do decently on SL (it won't run ultra settings but it will high with a frame rate hit.......it's a darn sight better than what you have now anyway). Acer is a solid machine but not top of the line.......I've owned one and wasn't terribly unhappy with it except I did have an issue with them over supplying a recovery CD (they just wouldn't do it). You can burn your own though and it does work.

With a little shopping around you can find some great deals on great computers.....even refurbs (though I tend to shy away from used electronics but that's just me). I searched Newegg but there are several other online computer stores that are very competitive.........Tiger Direct for one. Sorry you can't enjoy SL right now but maybe in a few weeks or months you will. Good luck.

thanks for the suggestion. im hopping for a new computer for my birthday this year and thank you for the bday wish! i asked for one w ith the latest windows which i know is windows 7. i would like a laptop but right now a new tower would be just fine. i'll see whats out there if i get the chance to pick and choose what computer i end up getting. it does suck i cant enjoy SL like i used to. but thats ok i guess lol i expected bad news bc my computer is old. thanks again for the help :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.