How well do you think a voice sim would do? (RP)

chole Michalski

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok, I've seen RP sims all over the place in SL.  While I understand that traditional RP is typing so you can add facial expressions and other things that would be hard to do with voice...what are the chances that people would actually use voice.  I'm not saying full on role playing, but just to play a part.  To be in character on voice.  For example, you start a realistic family living sim.  With a movie theater and post office, grocery store and other things.  What if instead of typing while role playing you voice?  Make up whatever type of person you want to be, the life you live and who is in your life.  Then while role playing with the others on the sim over voice it would be LIKE an RL scenario.  For example you run into someone at the grocery store...well what do you do in the grocery store in RL?  "Hello, how are you today Jane?"  and Jane replies with "I'm well, how have you been?"  And you carry on this conversation with the person telling them all about your "life" on the sim and your family.  Eventually after mingling for so long with everyone there you would know who they are, what they like to do and and the type of family that they have (if any).  To me it would be a more realistic simulation of RL.  While I realize that some people do not want to be on voice because they are 1, not willing to "mix" RL and SL and feel as if voice does so.  Or 2 just don't like to voice, there are multitudes of people who do like to voice!  I guess I'm just looking for your opinions to let me know if this would work or if it would be a hit.  I'm thinking of doing something similar.  Now that I've gone off and written a novel, I thank you for taking the time to read this!:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

4 answers to this question

To be honest finding dedicated RP's is a challenge now days. I RP on a SIM which is labelled "RP" the idea is a grunge streete shoot up etc. but even the owner only RPs a character if he's going in for sex which is freaking annoying.

Also when it comes to RP people will type RP whilst Talking OOC on voice instead of the whole (( OOC )) thing. And then if people do RP voice how will people know if they are saying something OOC.

I think it could be a good idea for people who love Roleplay it's just finding those people. Those who RP in Second Life can be shy in Real Life so Roleplaying on voice would be a step up but a challenge. And to be honest in a sense it is like "acting" and there are some bad actors out there... it's why not everyone is a voice actor for cartoons. typing RP is like writting a screenplay. voicing is like acting it. 

Personally I'd give it ago but I can't act at all so if I tried to act I tend to do that really annoying fake american accent ..I don't MEAN to put on an accent but when bad actors act they tend to ... :P

You really can't RP using voice, just can't. I mean how silly would it sound if you said on mic "me carefully approaches the lovely lady who's smile lightens up the room and then I say to her 'Hello pretty lady'"

That would just sound silly. Using voice would only lead to a lot of OOC talk and a lot of BS in my opinion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.