Mirroring half sculpt in blender 2.5?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi ^^

I have been working with the new blender 2.5x and imported an old sculpty head, however with the older blender it messed up the alignment of the head. The mirroring is off, not sure how many experienced this with sculpt making?

I started it off perfectly symmetrical, but once I got more into the sculpt somewhere the mirroring, faces, and vertices became uneven.

What I want to know is, can I take half of my sculpt and mirror it to be symmetrical again to continue to work on? If so, how do I go about doing this? I just want both sides to match so I can continue sculpting properly.

thank you to anyone who helps!

I use blender 2.49, so I briefly looked at 2.6... which I think is still similar to 2.5.

1. In Edit mode, make sure the sculptie's middle vertexes are at x=0

2. Delete all the other vertices on the side you don't want to mirror.

3. Select the vertices at x=0

4. Hit shift + s and select "Cursor to Selected"

5. In Object mode, go to Object -> Transform->  Origin to 3D Cursor

6. In the buttons below, go to the wrench button. Click Add Modifier -> Mirror

7. Select-

Axis: X

Options: Merge, Clipping

Textures: U

ok now the middle vertices, how and where do i know what x=0 is located?

I'm still new to blender but I'm understanding it and a fast learner. I just don't understand where to find that x=0

I know how to delete the vertices... but how do i select the vertices at x=0?

Sorry to be such a pain lol and I do appreciate the help! Would you happen to know where i can find pictures showing me these steps or a youtube tutorial?

thank you much!

The mirror modifier will reflect a copy of the mesh along the specified LOCAL axis, with the mirror plane passing through the LOCAL origin. Therefore you problem is (1) to locate the object origin on the plane and (2) to get the object oriented so that, (for example, the ZY plane) is the plane you want to mirror in (along the X axis in the example). Here is a way of doing that...

1. In Object mode : Object->Clear/Apply->Apply Scale/Rotation to ObjData [ Object-Apply->Rotation and Scale ]*

2. In Edit mode, top view (num pad 7) : rotate so that the plane you want to morror in is a verticel slice, egde on.

3. To make sure the edge is coplanar, so that it merges properly, select the edge vertices in the mirror plane and type SX0.

4. With the edge vertices still selected do Mesh->Snap->Cursor to Selection. [ Mesh->Snap->Cursor to Selected ]

5. In Object mode : Object->Transform-<Center Cursor  [ Object->Transform->Origin to 3D Cursor ]

6. Now apply the Mirror modifier. Check that it's using the default X axis.

If you want the object to be symetrical, then add the Mirror modifier, but don't apply it until you have finished. That way, you can just work on one side and the changes will happen in both sides.

* 2.63 versions in brackets, otherwise 2.49.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.