Second Life won't let me login, here's my information??

cosmopolitan88

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

it used to work fine for months. I haven't been on in a while, and whenever i try to login, it says "darn you've been logged out of second life, check your connection"
my connection should be fine... My internet was slow, so I called them and they supposedly gave me a faster internet..
help?

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 320M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.36

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Built with GCC version 40001
Packets Lost: 10/913 (1.1%)

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, cosmopolitan88

You can check your connection via http://www.pingtest.net/

You might be ok, though, so do try changing your start login location to somewhere like Furball or Quarrel (empty waterland sims), see if you can log in to any of those.

And don't forget to check also that you have up-to-date drivers for your graphics card by visiting the nvidia website.

As Echo says, pingtest should tell you what quality your internet connection has. If you don't know, and are wondering, what speed your connection has, try http://www.speedtest.net/

Do you have any issues with staying logged in if you use a cable to connect your Mac to your router? (I assume you are on a wireless net atm).

Also, is there a chance your Mac is overheating? SL does make your computer work hard, and there is a real chance of overheating. Normally, you don't get the message you get, so this might not be it. I have a Mac with the same type of card and have not had overheating issues on it, but I don't live in a particularily hot climate.

- Luc -

Your packet loss figure is much higher than I feel comfortable with, so you are losing a little over 1% of the data you are sending or receiving from SL's servers.  When was the last time you rebooted your router?  If it's been a week or two, unplug it from the power and go make a sandwich. That will give it time to clear its RAM and take a fresh look at your IP address.  While you're checking things, be sure that you don't have unshielded Internet cables running over your power cords too..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.