To Mesh Creator's

Hiroshi Viper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the love of god......when you create Mesh annd add Alpha texture's........Please make them full perm.....i don't know how many time's ive brought something and get an Alpha that is No mod.....it is very annoying....there is no REASON for it either...what happens if i want to wear Mesh jean's from another creator? You designers are making it hard for me to want to wear your item's!

Although I agree it won't hurt the creator to make something like the alpha for some clothing full perm, I really don't see your problem with the second pair of jeans. If you wear another pair of jeans, use the alpha that goes with that. What good will the full permissions be if it doesn't match the other pants? Why would it need to be full perm to begin with?

I'm not bothered about the second pair of jean's, it's the fact that i would like to wear mesh jean's from one creator.....with a no mod alpha.....and another mesh top from another creator with no mod alpha....which mean's i cannot add both of the alpha's together....because there is no way to get to the alpha texture.....to wear both of the mesh's i like.

But, don't alpha layers work in exactly the same way as clothing layers?  In which case having a full perms alpha layer doesn't give you access to the textures used to create it, only the ability to substitute those textures for ones you have in your inventory (in which case you may as well just create a new alpha layer yourself).  I think what you'd need is for creators to include a full perms copy of the texture used to create the alpha layer, not a full perms alpha layer.

Besides, creating an alpha layer is really not that difficult if you have a copy of photoshop and some SL skin templates.  Just wear the templates as a skin, attach the mesh clothing you're creating an alpha layer for, open the same skin template in photoshop and paint your alpha layer texture.  It's a 5 minute job (if that) and, as many people have pointed out, alpha layers tend to rely a lot on shape settings, so knowing how to create your own is a skill well worth learning.

• Like 1

You're absolutely right, it's the full perm TEXTURE that should be provided and that's what's asked for.  We all fell into nomenclature with "layer".  As for taking 5 minutes.. well that depends on the complexity of the item and the competence of the end user and the suggestion in the OP was about helping people.

Since there's absolutely no reason not to offer the texture full perm, why would there be resistance to offering it to make it easier for the customer?

How to make a sale...make it easy to buy and easy to keep the customer coming back.  If by providing a texture that can be easily adjusted, maybe just a smidge of an edit on a neckline, that keeps the customer happy and they come back because they know that merchant makes it easy, isn't that a reason to do it?

Why ask someone to start all over again?  Some of the alpha's may be more complex and baked in the 3D tool so nobody really wants to start all over again.  I did one for some strappy sandals and it because of the lack of pixels, the UV map and because i'm fussy, it did not take 5 minutes at all but rather nearer 2 hours. 

• Like 1

ANYTHING save a script that is no-mod is basically worthless IMO, and with the ease at which people who wish to steal stuff do so with no regard to perms, is pointless as well.

Maybe I'm just old school, but if there is a strand of hair that just doesn't quite fit, I much prefer to use edit mode to fix it fast rather than futzing around with some crappy resize script which may or may not give the same result. 

I do not like all the shoes, hair, and jewerly (mostly - some clothing items as well) that come stuffed full of bad scripts I won't use, don't want, but which will lag everything and yet cannot be removed.

And all of this is before getting into my personal pet peeve that I should be able to re-texture, re-color or heck destroy anything I buy. My shoes or jeans or furniture and such in real life don't keep me from making changes to them, so why should my virtual equivalents?

And yes, for gods sake there is no reason alpha layers should be no mod. Making something we shouldn't have to do, such as modifying a bad alpha layer to get our clothes to fit, much more difficult by requiring us to start from scratch, just shows a high level of ignorance (which hopefully can be overcome) or contempt towards customers. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.