How to make the knee join stiff during animation?

chrisbreitling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

chrisbreitling wrote:

Well if the knee doesn't move that would be strange. It should move with the walk ...

You didn't mention it was a walk.

... but the knee itself must remain in the same angle it has between the upper leg and lower leg. Don't know if there is a way to specify that angle either.

Simply don't animate the knee, put it at a certain angle in the second (first frame of your animation) frame and keep it like that.

Specify what? The only walk I can think of with a knee that doesn't rotate, is a walk for a pirate with a peg leg. Then the rotation would be 0,0,0.

I know what your problem probably is -

when you create animations, EVERY joint needs to be set off just a bit. The best thing to do is -

Open your animation program (I used Qavimator), offset every joint just a tiny bit on one of the dimentions, save that file as something like "Moved joints" or whatever, then when you create real aminations, open it and edit that to the actual animations.

See, if you do not do this, whatever joints were not altered will have a priority of zero and upon using the animation, those joints will default to the LL movements. This is why if you create something like say a handstand and the avatar's legs get wadded up at the hips Or maybe it's head goes upside down.

Also, with the subtil adjustments of the "moved joints" file, it is not gonna be noticeable during the real animation. Even if it is, well at least you now know how to fix the inverted head or weirdly positioned legs etc.

ALSO with animations in general - once you learn about the "priority" thing I outlined above - do not forget during animation creation, try to set the limbs movelements as similar to human ones as possible. Like maybe have the arms or legs in a position of balance so the animation looks realistic and not stiff. Unless you WANT stiff.

Well like I once had a cartwheel one, she would lean to the side a bit to start and during which, move the arms and legs spreading to rool sideway instead of just throwing them out and doing a 360. Recovery was similar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.