Wall and floor texture height and width?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Catherine Deerhunter wrote:

What is the best height and width to make walls and floors?

That question is hard to answer, since we know not the context. But if you are referring to building a house, the overall predetermined dimensions of the house determines the width of the walls. As for the height of walls for a house, for camera viewing purposes, anything over 5 metres is good. If you mean thickness of walls and floors, I find 0.2 metres is good for houses.

For making a building that is usable by a wide variety of average SL avatars, I tend to go with a 5 m wall height. That's tall enough that you can TP into the room and not get stuck in the ceiling or appear on the level above your intended destination, and the follow camera also isn't stuck in the ceiling or skimming the floor of the next level above you.

For textures, it depends a lot on what you're building and what level of detail you really need. Most wall textures work fine as a 256 pixel high by 256 wide or 512 wide texture. Anything more detailed than that is often wasted, and lags the area longer as the higher detailed textures take longer to load. I wouldn't normally use a texture that is bigger than 512 x 512 as a building texture. I often use 128 x 128 textures for things like roof shingles and brick walls, where the repeating pattern can be fairly tight.

How high the walls are is really a matter of taste scale and style.  For a closed in cozy feeling 5-6 meters, for high ceilings and a more open and airy feel 7-8 meters.  For vaulted ceilings or grand rooms in a large building, 10 meters or higher

Standard walls with openings for windows and doors I make 0.20 thick.  But if I am using a natural stone, adobe or similar texture I use up to 0.50, as these types of walls are much thicker in RL too.  For an interior wall with no openings at all sometimes I make them quite thin if I want to preserve as much floor space as possible.

There really is no right or wrong in this, as long as your building has good proportions and scale for the architectural style your using and is the right size for your target market.

Paul Norfolk wrote:

If residents didn't feel the need to make themselves 7 feet tall, things might actually be more in realistic proportions to each other. Sadly that's not the case, so 6m+ is about right to allow a feel of openness. :-)

While this is very true, if you build to sell you have to accommodate this, unless you want to restrict your sales to a niche market.  Tall avatars are a fact of SL, not just a trend.  Maybe one day this will be reversed, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, especially since LL itself offers tall avatars to newbs from the start.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4269 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.