Anyone still using office 95?

Deja Letov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

of course you aren't! Who would possibly still be using office 95? I mean come on, it's 17 years old right? Nobody would ever do that? or would they?

Imagine my surprise when i tried to run an import on transaction logs from the SL Account page in xls format instead of xml (just for a change of pace) and to my surprise my importer won't work...why is that you ask? Because unfortunately my importer only works with Excel files from 97 forward.

Seriously SL, I know you're behind the times a bit...but 17 years behind the times? Can we not upgrade the component to generate the excel files to something a bit more recent...even by 10 years? LOL  guess I should make a jira for this...as futile as it will be.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

If you need a temp workaround: open it in OpenOffice or LibreOffice calc, that can open it and save it in just about any format you want to use.

Ya I already did that. still silly that they are saving it in an old format. boo on them.

Carrie Snowpaw wrote:

I"m using Office 2007 (yes a little outdated but whatever) and I have no issues importing and opening transaction logs in xml format.

ya it's not an issue with opening them. It's an issue with taking their provided format and running it through a software based importer. I can definitely open the files in Office, they usually make them backwards compatible, but things like java based com objects that process them programatically don't function with old excel version. Only way I've been able to do is to open and resave, which isn't very practical to do often.

I can't look it up at the moment, but you can also use open office to convert documents automatically from command line, if you need unattended conversion... the problem is that i don't recall the proper target format specification. The basic command line format is:

soffice --headless --convert-to xls inputfile.xls

Still doesn't solve the XLS output, but might help with unattended conversion. Any of OpenOffices formats are permissible for the output format.

Of course, in reality XML is quite likely the better format anyway... who in their right mind uses spreadsheets for static data, let aline exports to spreadsheet formats?

Well this actually came about because of my software I use. I import transaction logs and normally I do just use XML and use the built in excel reader that is part of the language I program in but of course it's not 17 years old. I had one of my users ask about importing excel files from transaction logs because she only saved them in that format and even though moving forward she can do XML she wanted to get her past transactions in as well. Well I figured this would come about with someone else eventually so I wanted to add in the ability to import the XML or XLS versions. She ended up just opening and resaving them all as the new version, thank goodness for users who know how to follow directions! I may just have to make this an option for special people. LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.