Looking for a train system

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I need some advice.

I am building a little train that goes around my sim, but some of the corners are very sharp, it is an old city with narrow streets and so on.

Most SL train systems I've seen and tried are clearly made for open spaces where you can make nice wide corners.

The script I used (*CNR) doesn't work very well because when the train takes the corners bits of it stick out a bit too much, thus crashing into buildings, streetlights, etc.

See picture below for an example of how the train may have to turn in our sim.

The old train script I use works reasonably but it just lets me set locations; move from this spot to that spot. SL then calculates how much the object has to rotate.

I could probably manouver the train trough narrow streets and around sharp corners if the script let me also set the rotation for the object, the train systems I've seen so far, don't do this.

The only alternative to make the train move a bit more exact is a puppeteer script and those are a tat laggy.

So I was just wondering if you have any experience with this sort of thing and if you can suggest any trainss that are very good at making a whole bunch of prims follow a specific route, play sounds, go from A to B and lets me rotate it how I want it.

In short the script should say; go here, make this sound, rotate thus at this corner, etc.

It has to be more exact then the ones I've seen so far, I want to be able to make 90degrees corners without ramming the front into the local police station.

Got any scripts or systems you can suggest?

And yes, I know LL is working on this new pathfinder thingy that will make movement for objects a lot easier, but well... when will that be ready?

Snapshot_001.jpg

Jo Yardley wrote:

And yes, I know LL is working on this new pathfinder thingy that will make movement for objects a lot easier, but well... when will that be ready?

Pathfinding is currently running on the Magnum release channel (about 10% of the grid) and viewers that can be used to set up pathfinding features are available as development viewers and I believe will soon make it to the Beta. Pathfinding should let you do a lot of cool things in Berlin with NPC's - you might try asking to move the sim to the Magnum channel and experiment with it. There are also pathfinding regions on the beta grid that you can experiment with if you don't want to move the sim over yet.

Check out the virtual railway consortium they have lots of info

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Railroad/SLRR_standards

http://www.virtualrailwayconsortium.org/links

if you go to their headquarters in world they all so have lots of free working examples I think there full prem. I don't have the SLURL handy but you can find it in search.

Thanks for the advice, in the end I went with the old system I had.

I tried a few but they all seem to have been made for very wide open sims, not narrow city streets.

But we got it to work even though I hope pathfinding may make it all a bit better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.