Cassandra1999

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

You aren't doing anything wrong. This link is to an older post but it will show you what others were getting: How Fast is Your Viewer? - Second Life.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

If you want to get into tweaking your computer for performance there is lots to learn. Read: Graphics Tweaking for Second Life.

Also, check out: How to improve Viewer performance - Second Life and Understanding the Maximum Bandwidth Option in the Second Life™ Viewer.

If you want to reset all your settings to the default, rename or delete the settings.xml file. It is in: C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\

You will get different performance with different viewers. Also different brands of computers will perform differently on different hardware. People with hardware nearly identical to mine get faster and slower performance. Performance can change from version to version of the same viewer.

It all basicly boils down to your CPU and Video Card CPU. Your video card is on the lower end of the performance spectrum for SL .

For example. In crowded sims with a 9800gt I would get 7 FPS on medium graphics settings  50 to 70 users on the sim. I only had a single core cpu... I recently upgraded my PC but not the video card. I now have a 6 core CPU and get much better FPS and can run on ultra now and get 7 FPS in crowded sims and 50-60 FPS in regions with no users only full of builds. I am sure when I upgrade my Video card it will be even much faster but those are the 2 that will need to be mostly upgraded to get better performance I now still running my 9800GT with 12 gigs of ram and a 6 core CPU and loving the difference. 4 Gigs or ram was not enough for me

The higher your render settings. the more it taxes the system...

The numbers you quote are normal for the specs you have listed

If you can not afford to upgrade one part of your PC then I recommend keeping your settings at medium and in graphics settings keep your draw distance down low. In crowded regions like clubs. drop your draw distance way down to 64 or less for a half way comfortable experienc. In graphics settings you should also be able to turn down the number of avatars you rez... Avatars really take a lot to render. The more there are. the harder it is to render. Try not to stand close to a crowd but stay spread out a little.. the more avatars that are standing close to you. the harder it will be ...

Good Luck :). I know it can be frustrating at times when performance  is lower than we would like..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.