Questions from a new builder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on SL since 2006 but have just started tackling the building aspect, and man is it quite the task.

I have a question on something basic. When you rez, say, a cube, you can only stretch it so far. In fact, you can't stretch it all that much at all. I was wondering how I can make it stretch more?

Every building I see has bigger floors and walls than how far objects will stretch, do I have to buy something that will allow me to do this, or is it just linking? It really does seem like all one object, which is why I ask.

I also remember someone pulling out a huge platform to begin to build with, but I forget what it is and I don't know how to get it.

Sorry for the lame question, I appreciate every answer. 

Welcome to the wonderful, and often frustrating world of SL building. No question is ever lame!  Ask, and someone will surely try to help you. 

Personally, I don't like to use megaprims since they require some special handling and I can never find the right size I need, but I know a number of builders that still use them....if it all seems one wall it is probably a megaprim.  There are some on  on Marketplace and I believe Builder's Brewery has some for Free in their main building.

If it is not a mega, it is probably linked pieces with an excellent texturing job.

Me, I build nothing over 50 x 50 meters. I try to build my buildings realistically speaking (or, as best as you can in SL) and per floor is never over 6 meters tall (okay a bit taller if doing cathedral ceilings)  nor 50 meters long/wide....generally nothing over 30 meters.  But, this is my personal preference.  You will develop your own style as you go along.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.