Are last names lost forever?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Chronometria wrote:

On the race scoreboard, i show up as "Chronometria resident", not Chrono Cogshine. On the nametag that marks my snail racer shell, again i show up with my resident title and login name. To all the items the commentators use to identify us, our logins are the only thing they see and it confuses them.

Problem is old scripts. This was always going to be a pain, but honestly it's over a year later now. If the creators involved haven't released new scripts yet, pester them. I have a standing replacement agreement for my script-work; I'll make any of my No Mod scripts Display-Names friendly for free, as soon as I'm asked - there's no excuse I can think of for not having this policy.

Takes very little time + Costs nothing to reupload = Why is this still a problem for people.

As for the thread: I've never had an issue with display names, and am capable of naming things without any help from the SL viewer (I do it every day, in RL, where people don't have names floating over their heads). The transition provided no hassles, and I've never considered anyone dismissive/disrespectful towards single-named users as anything but Trollin'.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i think some creators REFUSE to release new scripts, and its probably alot of work to send out updates, maybe thats why.

I do like Scripts which call me by my DN, very much so.

But there are some people out there who use their Display Name as an additional title.

For example: Somebody sets their DN to "The King of ..." but still has "john.doe" as legacy name, and wants to be called either John or Mr. Doe. Now try to tell a "DN-friendly" script to call him John. The script would probably call him just "The".

People can always set their Display Names to whatever they like, for example if you look up Truth Hawks, you get 3 results in Search. And only the 3rd one is the 'real' creator of Truth Hair.

In my opinion, it wasn't necessary to get rid of last names at all, because the Display Names would still work with the "old" naming system too.

My suggestion: When creating names, people should be more creative. Create a nice name like "AbbyFraser" or something like that... makes it look like there is a last name (Fraser) and it looks much better than "j46g28". I have seen alot of people doing that.

I also have seen some couples who are partnered and set their DN to "something Resident". So there we go... it IS a last name :-P

danicah wrote:

Well i think some creators REFUSE to release new scripts, and its probably alot of work to send out updates, maybe thats why.

Anyone doing this is no longer a creator. They might well be resting on their laurels and scooping up profits, but they're no longer a driving force of the SL economy. It's almost zero effort to change the scripts. even if they don't want to distribute updates. SL is a progressive environment where you keep up, or are left behind.

danicah wrote:

For example: Somebody sets their DN to "The King of ..." but still has "john.doe" as legacy name, and wants to be called either John or Mr. Doe. Now try to tell a "DN-friendly" script to call him John. The script would probably call him just "The".

This is just because people have weird preconceptions of how names should work, how they should look. SL users are too used to the latin/western-style Firstname Lastname concept. It would struggle with lots of names (Especially any using non-latin alphabet charcters, or non-standard titles), the solution is very simple: Call people by the names they choose for themselves (Usernames no longer count for this, since the pool is too distorted - no longer an unassisted choice). There's no reason to cling to Westernised names (or westernised Firstname Lastname name-structure) when 'Cher', 'Will-I-Am' and 'Fergie' are all completely valid replacements, that everyone can understand.

danicah wrote:

I also have seen some couples who are partnered and set their DN to "something Resident". So there we go... it IS a last name :-P

Nope, that's a display name. A surname would be something that occupies the LastName field in SL's account database and is incorporated into their username (separated by a period).

I was so sad when they started doing away with last names. For awhile there even after they took them away I was using a third party registration site that could still register with last names even after SL stopped offering them, but that only lasted a few months. Luckily I grabbed a few names I wanted in case I ever wanted to make alts. I wish they would come back as well, it sure makes creating a new account much easier to have the combination.

Deja Letov wrote:

Luckily I grabbed a few names I wanted in case I ever wanted to make alts.

I think many others did the same when the naming system got changed. They just registered new names as long as they were available. Even i created two at that time, and one of them became my main.

And these accounts get older too, so people won't think of them as "noobs" when they start using them.

If i remember right, Rodvik once said something like, since they changed it there are more signups and less names being abandoned. Well, have you ever asked yourself why? I think it's because people wanted to grab some good sounding names while they are available. And they are not abandoning their names either.

I do have an "old" account too, which i hardly use, but i like this one better tbh. I am keeping my old one tho if i need some time for myself or if i want to check out stores without getting bugged.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.