Help. SL wont start

bugattichick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

just downloaded. 

it wont start.

gets to initialising VFS and then straight to crash logger.

i have allowed it through my firewall.

I have manually cleared the files in the appdata folders

SL doesnt show as running in task manager

i am using a toshiba sattelite. intel core i3. windows 7

please help. i do not know know wht is wrong.

3 answers to this question

Several people have reported problemsToshiba Satellite notebooks.  It has an integated  graphics chip instead of a discrete graphics card, so it's not really designed for the sort of heavy graphics use that SL expects. You shouldn't expect very good performance from it.  It should run, though.  You have already done each of the remedies that we would normally recommend if a viewer hangs up at the VFS initialization stage, so I suspect that you have a damaged file somewhere.  It's probably smart to do a clean reinstall, which involves removing all traces of the current installation from your computer and downloading a fresh copy of your viewer of choice.  Here's how to do it >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall .  Those instructions are written for the Firestorm viewer, but the same process works for any of them. 

If reinstalling your current viewer still doesn't work, I suggest trying a Third Party Viewer --- probably one based on a V1 code, like Phoenix or CoolVL, rather than a V3-level viewer.

Keep in Mind VFS stands for virtual file system. It has really nothing to do with video cards.

My guess there is a corruption of files withing the file system or files unable to be written or accessed or windows has created policies for the program not being able to write or access the files it needs to run..

I have only had this problem once when Sl was crashing due to a bug in uploading mesh files. It would crash after trying to upload the SLM files. then after it crashed a few times it relentlessly started to crash at VFS. Deleting the whole SECONDLIFE folder in the appdata fixed it.. Dont just delete the files inside the SL folder. delete the entire folder..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.