Maximum length of string returned by llGetDisplayName(id)?

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

According to the Wiki article on Limits, the maximum length for a Display Name is 31 characters, same as the maximum for a one-word username.   The maxium length, however for a legacy name (first name and last name) is 63 characters, including the space.   

What gets returned, does anyone know, by llGetDisplayName(id) if the id is that of someone who has a legacy name longer than 31 characters and who hasn't set a display name?    Common sense tells me it should be the first 31 characters of their legacy name, but common sense isn't always a reliable guide in SL.

I suspect that you're right, Innula.  I don't know anyone offhand with a gargantuan name, but I guess you could write a script to capture a legacy name like that at random.   Go to a crowded club and start trolling till you find a test case.  I'd be interested in knowing the answer too.

Thanks, nevertheless.   It's probably not a problem that's likely to arise too often -- I'm making a contest board sort of thing that uses XyxxyText, so I need to know how much room to allocate to people's names.  In testing, it  fell over when I tested it with someone who has a very long display name, so I've been pondering about the lengths of names.   

I think what I'll do, if someone turns out to have a really long legacy name and isn't using a display name, is simply use their first name (which is going to be a pretty unusual one, after all).    And I can't imagine I'm going to need to do that very often, if ever.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.