Always crashing after load screen on firestorm, even when I reinstall it.

QueenoftheeDamned

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have windows 7.  I tried the secondlife viewer and the beta  but i crash very often. They were working fine I tried different settings,clearing cache,reinstalling. I gave up so i went to phoenix viewer site and downloaded the firestorm viewer. Worked fine for days until the same thing happened. I reinstall it. It works fine all through out..

But then when i sign out then try to sign back on i crash back to desktop on the load screen or the box says i've been logged out. It seems it only works when i reinstall it but later crashes like i said before when logging in. I dont quite understand. I tried logging into different places,less full ones. help? :matte-motes-sour:

1 answer to this question

When you reinstalled the viewer, did you do a clean reinstall, or did you just delete the viewer itself?  The part that usually gets borked is the roaming and local files, which always survive a reinstall unless you remove them deliberately.  I'm not confident that doing a clean reinstall will solve your problem, but it removes a lot of uncertainty (and it's the smart thing to do anyway).

My guess is that you have a chronic connection problem, so your viewer and SL's servers are temporarily losing the ability to talk to each other. (Always check http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ first, BTW.  Everyone has been crashing at odd times for past few days as LL has been repairing the servers)   So here are a couple of things to try .....

(1) Try shutting off your computer, unplugging the router and modem for a couple of minutes, and then plugging them back in and restarting. That simple step may clear up everything

(2) Add Google's free public DNS servers to whatever your ISP assigns you as a default. Here's how >>> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

If those don't work, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question here and select EDIT to add more information or just let us know. Please do NOT start a new thread.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.