Custom shape for mesh?

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something I've always wondered:

Is it possible to save a certain mesh, that you have modeled just the way you like it, inside blender (2.6), so that every time you open a new blender file, you have the option to add that specific mesh shape?

.blend files are actually organized as hierarchical databases. And blender provides a facility to adress elements from other blend files via the 2 main menu entries:

• File ->Append
  • File ->Link

So what you will want to do:

• Open a new blend file
  • Call File -> Append an navigate to your "source blend file" (where your mesh item is stored)
  • Then navigate further down "into" the blend file. Depending what sort of object you want to append you will have to navigate to different sections. You probably would navigate to the "Object" section in your case.

The difference between Append and Link:

With Append you get an independent copy of the other mesh. With Link you get a reference of the mesh and thus if you change the mesh in the original blend file, then it will also be changed in our new projects blend file.

Please note that you can Link or Append entire scenes from other blend files.

You can set Blender up to use any default setup you like too. You could open blender or start a new file and have your mesh there by default.

All the settings for Blender are in a startup.blend file located in the folders listed below. It is just another Blender file. The only things special about it are the name and its location.

I setup a file that represents what I want to see when starting Blender. Which for me is deleting the lights and default cube. I arrange my windows for my work style. Once all is as I want it I save it as the default. You can do that by clicking FILE -> User Preferences -> Save As Default.

You can always restore the Blender Defaults by deleting startup.blend. You will find it here:

• Linux: /home/$user/.blender/'Version Number'/config/startup.blend (you'll need to show hidden files).
  • Windows 7 and Windows Vista: C:\Users\$user\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\'Version Number'\config\startup.blend
  • MacOS: /Users/$user/Library/Application Support/Blender/'Version Number'/config/startup.blend (you'll need to show hidden files).

I also make files for special use. I have a female-263.blend and a male-263.blend files that are setup for making female and male clothes. The avatar and UVMaps are all setup for SL system clothes and ready for mesh clothes. 

I could save them as the defualt startup file. It is technically possible. Doing that just doesn't fit me personally. I prefer a near empty scene with the windows arranged as I like them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.