Why is Blender doing this?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Can't anyone with the same problem read the same thread and get the same answers as Pamela? I don't see why she needs to come back and say "hey it worked" when the information is right there in the thread. 

Hardly anyone comes back to give gold stars. And we shouldn't expect it.

It's not about giving gold stars. It's about documenting the solution for other users.

It's not about saying "hey, it worked". It's about saying "hey, THIS worked", so that others can take a shortcut instead of trying all the different suggestions again.

Pamela did come back to the other thread, falsely claiming that the correct solution did NOT work. Here's the quote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

I selected that after it started bakingc something besides the selected wall mesh. My understanding is that you can bake one object mesh to another,c something like that. The fact that the problem disacppeared on restart tells me it was another Blender bug. Which is why I am not asking about Blender baking problemJs any more but looking for something else to use.

Keep in mind, she said this AFTER someone correctly identified the checkbox that caused the problem. A simple "Oops, that was it" could have concluded the thread and would have kept others from investigating any further. But no, she insisted on blaming the tool. No one was asking for a gold star. Basic courtesy, an alien concept?

Now she's pulling the "magic restart" story again. Excuse me, but I see a pattern emerging there.

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Instead she claimed that the problem magically went away after a program restart. Today we know that this wasn't true.

"We" don't know anything isn't true since we are not sitting at her desk when she opens Blender. I know for a fact that I have found errors clear up after a restart or after exporting/re-importing a model. It isn't that uncommon.

Anyway, I have seen her thank people for advice on this forum many times. She has thanked me in person inworld on one occassion. So, I have no idea where you are coming from on that point.

As for people sharing information about a fix, I agree it is polite to come back to the thread and share the solution. In this case, that is what she did. She said a restart fixed it. There is no reason to think she is making it up for the lulz.

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

"We" don't know anything isn't true since we are not sitting at her desk when she opens Blender. I know for a fact that I have found errors clear up after a restart or after exporting/re-importing a model. It isn't that uncommon.

"We" know because she told us so, right here, message #17. It was the checkbox that fixed it, not the magic restart. It was a wrong setting, not a bug. Her response in the other thread was deliberately misleading.

Why does it matter? It matters because fake bug reports waste other people's time. Blender's development is community-driven; the quality of the software largely depends on the accuracy of bug reports.

If there is actually a bug in Blender's bake function, I want to see it fixed, because I use that function all the time. It's essential for game models. But please, don't BS me with these magic restart stories just because you can't admit that your settings were wrong. Be accurate. That's all I am asking for.

I reproduced the "bug" that Pamela described here. I can email you the .blend file if you like. It behaves exactly as Pamela described it, except that it isn't a bug. It's a perfectly logical result of two object duplicates sharing a single image. Pamela ran into a similar problem before. Many people do, because the depth of copy operations in Blender is not immediately obvious. I have no problem with that, but I do have a problem with people inventing BS stories to distract from the real issue. Blender does not "remember" previous positions of objects during a bake. But it does remember previous bakes, until you overwrite them. And that is exactly what happened here. Feel free to prove me wrong. Show me the evidence, and I will gladly forward it to Blender's bug tracker.

Hi, all;

Up till here i was silently following this thread and i got more and more curious over the time... so,

• Pamela: you write, that you solved the problem by simply restarting Blender after trying for 3 days to find the problem.
  • Pamela: In Message 17 something is not clear to me: "This is not the same issue" refers to this thread or the other thread ? Do you mean, that in the other thread you solved one problem by setting a checkmark, while in this thread you solved another problem by restarting blender ?
  • Masami: you write, that this particular problem in this thread can be reproduced and it can be solved by checking or unchecking a checkbox.

I believe that i am not the only one who gets curious about what checkbutton solves which problem either here, or there or anywhere :)

BTW: I agree with Masami, that it is very very very(!) recommended to report any bug to the blender bug tracker, provided that  the bug can be clearly identified and reproduced and you add an example blend file to demonstrate the issue.

Hi Gaia! :)

This is what happened, in a nutshell:

Thread #1:

• Pamela: Blender keeps screwing up my AO bakes!
  • Audience: It could be X, Y, or "Bake selected to active".
  • Pamela: The problem just disappeared after I restarted Blender. It must be a bug!

Thread #2:

• Pamela: Blender keeps screwing up my AO bakes!
  • Audience: It could be X, Y, or Z.
  • Pamela: The problem just disappeared after I restarted Blender. It must be a bug!
  • Masami: It took you three days to try the trick that worked last time?
  • Pamela: No, last time it was "Bake selected to active".
  • Masami: wtf...?

Gaia Clary wrote:

Hi, all;

Up till here i was silently following this thread and i got more and more curious over the time... so,

• Pamela: you write, that you solved the problem by simply restarting Blender after trying for 3 days to find the problem.
  • Pamela: In Message 17 something is not clear to me: "This is not the same issue" refers to this thread or the other thread ? Do you mean, that in the other thread you solved one problem by setting a checkmark, while in this thread you solved another problem by restarting blender ?
  • Masami: you write, that this particular problem in this thread can be reproduced and it can be solved by checking or unchecking a checkbox.

I believe that i am not the only one who gets curious about what checkbutton solves which problem either here, or there or anywhere
:)

BTW: I agree with Masami, that it is very very very(!) recommended to report any bug to the blender bug tracker, provided that  the bug can be clearly identified and reproduced and you add an example blend file to demonstrate the issue.

Gaia, I don't know the terminology but have realized a bug is reproducible and persistant, but what I am calling a glitch, disappears on reopening the file, restarting Blender, or exporting as .obj and importing. So far I have only found one actual bug, with v 2.63.  Drongle confirmed it.  The rest of the time it is either my error or a glitch, and I don't always know which, but if the above mentioned things fix the problem then I am assuming, glitch. 

In any case, either Blender is very glitchy for me on my iMac or I mangle settings, usually involving baking, so in the other thread from 3 months ago I was asking for recommendations for 3rd party bakers to try.  I was not at that time seeking advice on how to solve any particular baking problem; Masami asked me to supply one, so I gave him an example, but I don't really know what caused or fixed that problem.

ETA:  I do customer service all day long; at this point I have handled so many problems, some of which took me a long time to figure out, that when the "symptoms" are reported, I know instantly what the problem is as well as the cure.  Here in this forum, I am not asking anyone here to do an investigation of the problems I have, or supply a mini-tutorial, but to let me know if they have ALREADY seen it before and know what the cause is or what to do. 

An example would be Asha correctly guessing in another thread that the reason part of my mesh did not load was because I had more than 8 materials -- it was something she already knew.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.