Leaving Pando

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm taking down the tent at the Carnival in Pando, after two and a half years.

(Well, there is no tent, really, but you know what I mean.)

Part of the reason is just sheer fatigue; 900+ days and 230,000+ visitors later, it's time to take a rest. Part of it is wanting to go out on top - our traffic is solid, our following is loyal, and people sing our praises on a regular basis.

Part of it, of course, is no surprise to anyone who has read my (infrequent but passionate) posts here in the forums: this is not the Second Life I loved when I started here, and Linden Labs is not the proprietor it once was. I can't rationalize giving all that money when they've decided to take a different course. It's their company; I'm just a consumer of their services - or was, anyway.

So in a few days, Pando will be vacant again. It's a full mainland sim (http://slurl.com/secondlife/Pando/128/128), a relatively rare commodity these days - if you or someone you know is in the market, it can be had for a song (well under abandoned land price ;) ). If it doesn't sell by Friday, then the next buyer will have to pay L$1/sqm to Linden Labs directly. In the mean time, the Carnival and Amusement Park, the 10-lane bowling alley, the 32ksqm paintball/tankwars combat arena, the cinema, the voodoo shop, the boxing gym, the seedy hotel, and all the other features large and small will be there for just two more days, until I start the process of packing up.

I'll probably post again during that. Happy trails 'til.

In Pando, I was more of a curator; for my homage to Greenwich Village (an estate sim called The Big Apple, rip 2009), I did indeed use Second Inventory to move the contents over to Open Life, and then eventually to Kitely. Thanks for the thought, though - a lot of folks don't even consider alternative options for such preservation.

• 2 weeks later...

jahman

Sorry to see Pando leave;

It was a a nice vision to provide these people in SL with so many amusements, too bad of the 230,000 visitors they wouldn't tip enough if only 10% tipped 250 lindens it had been enough keep open the places that make SL what it was, but then then the people are different now as well as Linden labs...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.