llSetKeyframedMotion fails with continuous use

Kayaker Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a bunch of swimming and flying critters that used to move in a jerky llSetPos way, I upgraded some of them to llMoveToTarget with poor results. So I was happy to see llSetKeyframedMotion and I started converting scripts over to it. It works great at first, the motion is smooth and the velocity is linear. So I left a few critters swimming around, making another llSetKeyframedMotion call once every second.

After a few weeks, I discovered all the critters that use llSetKeyframedMotion were frozen in the water! Resetting the script didn't get them going again, I had to delete them and rez fresh ones out of inventory. Has anyone else had llSetKeyframedMotion fail after a long time? Could there be some sort of memory leak problem that slowly accumulates errors until it locks up? Or was there a server upgrade that changed llSetKeyframedMotion and required re-starting all scripts that use it?

I'm waiting for another few weeks to see if they freeze up again.

Maybe Objects with llSetKeyframedMotion() stop running after region restarts ?

ETA: My experience with that particular bug is limited to objects that run a continuous keyframed motion loop, not that call the function over and over again, so that could be an independent cause of some different problem. Don't know. Also, I've changed a lot of things since I had that problem, such that I end up re-rezzing the object and starting the motion every time the sim restarts. That was to work around a different problem (the objects getting auto-returned from Linden land), but with the side-effect of no longer exercising that bug.

Thanks for drawing this to our attention, Qie.   It's certainly anticipated a problem that I'd otherwise have run into.

From what you're saying,  I'm guessing that something like 

changed(integer change)	{		if(change & CHANGED_REGION_START){			if(toggle){				llSetKeyframedMotion( [], []);				llSetKeyframedMotion(KFLList,[KFM_MODE, KFM_LOOP]);			}		}	}

isn't going to do any good?

I can't honestly say for sure, but my hunch is that it wouldn't help because even a (manual) script reset wouldn't get things started again.  It didn't seem to replicate every time, either, but YMMV.  All told, llSetKeyframedMotion() has been as flaky a function as I've encountered in LSL -- except when it's not.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.