Straps on mesh clothing

SpiritSparrow Skydancer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a question regarding straps on mesh clothing, specifically tops. What would cause a rigged tops straps to bite into the avatar when movement. In a properly fit mesh shirt that looks fine in a static pose? I ask because I recently purchased a few mesh clothing items and this is happening and when I brought it up to the creator I was told I didn't know what I was doing I refused to alter my avatar and its all my fault.

I know this not to be true because I did edit my bust and decreased the shoulders on my avatar and as it looked OK while standing in a static pose, as soon as I turned on my AO it the straps disappeared one or the other into the avatar.

What should I expect when I buy full permission mesh clothing?  

I am curious about straps and such no mesh clothing myself.  I have yet to find a piece of mesh clothes that deforms in such a way as to keep my body from protruding when I dance.  I've tried editing my AV to one of the so called "standard sizes", tried editing my AV to fit the item of clothing, but I just have not had success.  I always have to chose noticelably over sized for my AV, or wear alpha layers.

I've noticed that some clothes follow the body better than others.  So, my question.  Is it possible to custom make reasonable close fitting clothes to a particular avatar, and be able to dance and move without having bits and pieces poke out?  (with avatar physics turned off).  Should this just happen automatically if the clothes are made for a particular avatar, or is there an element of skill on the part of the maker?

I've seen some really nice things made with mesh, it can't be beat for making furniture or buildings, or non-rigged avatar attachments, or even nice clothing for a static pose.  But overall, rigged mesh has been a disappointment for clothing.  Am I just expecting too much of the technology, or have I not found a sufficiently skilled practitioner?

In theory it should be possible to make clothing act the same as the avatar, one particular avatar that is, so that's already quite restricting. The thing is each vertex is weighted to the bones, so if the vertices of the clothing don't match the vertices of the avatar there will be parts sticking out in certain poses. The trick to minimize this effect should be to use the exact same weighting for the clothing as LL uses for the avatar.

The weighting by LL isn't perfect, so I can imagine people try to do a "better job", making the endresult, in combination with the avatar,  far from perfect.

As I said, this is the theory, I'm not sure if it works like this 100%. And if it does it would still be very restricting for the clothing makers. The deformer Qarl is working on might make things easier when it comes to the one size fits one as it is now, it won't help with the difference in weighting between clothes and avatar though, that is unless the deformer weights the clothing to the skin of the avatar rather than the skeleton...come to think of it, that might be exactly what the deformer does....

• Like 1

There's a level of quality and time creators need to put into the meshes they create. I know, I make mesh templates. For a creator of a kit to say it's your fault.. well it seems appalling to me. I myself have bought meshes that I've been extremely disappointed in, so much so that I decided to make my own. So I know the feeling Tarina. 

Definitely buy the demo. Always. Any creator that doesn't provide a demo for mesh clothing, in my experience, shouldn't be frequented. As each creator makes the meshes, whether or not they use the standard sizing, there are always differences.. mostly minute, but sometimes dramatic. Always check the demo.

As for it not fitting properly on the waist/bust/hips/bottom, there is very little you can do about such things at this time, however that will -hopefully- change when the mesh deformer finds it's way to the general public. There are workarounds right now, though. I, for example, offer custom sizing to avatars, and have done complete sets for stores who chose to cater to their customer bases rather than trying to force them to conform to the standard sizes.

What you should expect from full permission mesh clothing is this Tarina: A reasonably well made product that moves well. Even if it requires the use of alpha layers (which they do at times, especially at joints such as the elbow, knee, and hip), the alpha layer shouldn't be noticeable. Problem areas (the shoulder specifically) tend to be harder to deal with. If it doesn't fit, or eats into your body more than a little (with the use of an alpha layer), then it is simply not worth purchasing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.