Leaving mainland - giving up land, the best way to exit ownership?

Incony Hathaway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i have a quarter sim.. its been my second life since about 2003.. a long time...

the current economic situation has decided i must goive it up, i need the money i pay sl.. to fund my real life now..

So.. what do i do.. what should i save..  what is the right process to stop being more than a 512m land owner, and give up the quarter sim...?

if i cant get anyone to buy my land.. i must just stop owning it.. i must give it up.. what is the right way to do that?

i cant find a thread that deals with that process.. so its why ive created the topic..

If there is a Linden Preffered method.. give me the link..  since at the the end of May.. i must be in a position to stop paying for the land..

In my opinion,

You could try to rent the land at cost for 90 days and address this at a later date, maybe your finances will change. 

Selling to a friend who will hold the land and return it later is an option.

Contact every Land Dealer and trade the Land for 512 Waterfront, west facing plots have better sunsets. Bay City or other double prim plot, or a + / - 40 meter terrain plots are nice. Location is everything.

If the land must be sold, I would set a price and lower the price everyday until it sells.

If the Land does not sell before you need to Tier down; you could sell the land to a land Dealer or bot.

To do that, you set the price very low and keep lowering it until a Bot arrives and pays you.

You can always Abandon the land to Governor (governess) Linden. In most cases, I prefer to sell to a bot, some L$ are better than none.

If you sell the land, be sure to visit your Dashboard (Account Page) and reduce your Tier in the Land Manager or allowed use page.

It is sad to have to move. :smileysad:  I've done it many times.

Thank you for the replies..I share this topic... here - Qoute:

Honored Resident

Abandoned land pricing

02-03-2012 02:24 PM

I had a large parcel for sale that I continued to drop the price on, all the way down to L$0.65 per sqm, before finally abandoning it. 48 hours later, Gov Linden has it for sale for $L1 per sqm. If I couldn't get that much, what makes the Lindens think they can? I advertised it in two forums, etc. Went to far more work to sell it than the Lindens will.

Frustrating - just needed to vent."

The conversation regarding this quote, is of relevance so its why ive added it here.The quarter sim i have has a good south east to westerly protected position.. on the edge of mainland.So i will ask my neighbours first. Its cut into parcels, so the quarter is actually several distinct parts.Should i cancel that before i try to sell?

To sell mainland at more than 0.14 L per meter you have to be prepared to wait for the right buyer to come along... the land bots no longer operate above that amount. Even at that amount, if your land has little value it won't sell.... there simply is no demand for mainland anymore. I won't go into all the many reasons, but, the post you put here from another land owner trying to sell can be repeated over and over for many others. Instead, I'll try to give you some more useful information:

The least expensive way to continue to own land in SL is to dump the premium account... consider what you get for your $9.99 (or if paying yearly even your $6.00 per month) and I think you'll quickly realize there is little value in being premium. For $6.00 monthly you can have better than the "free" Linden home or better than a 512m parcel on mainland. Contact me for details if interested. Just make sure once you've sold or abandoned your mainland you downgrade your tier level and/or dump your premium membership or you will continue to be billed as if you still own the land.

I hope this helps... and doesn't come across as just another unhappy LL customer. If you need more information on any of what I mentioned, feel free to contact me in world.

The quarter sim i have has a good south east to westerly protected position.. on the edge of mainland. So i will ask my neighbours first. It's cut into parcels, so the quarter is actually several distinct parts. Should i cancel that before i try to sell?

I'm not sure what "south east to westerly protected position" means, but I'm not sure it matters: I was just now helping a friend look for west-facing protected waterfront, having warned how that drives the prices up, only to find a really quite gorgeous quarter-sim, protected on three sides on the west shore of the Atoll for under L$2.5 / sq.m.  So unless that's your quarter sim, recombined, I think we can conclude that there's not much value remaining even in very, very good land.

If it were me, I'd probably combine the parcels, unless there's something unusual about the layout when combined. I mean, you're not gonna get enough to justify worrying about it one way or another, and no point in fussing around with lowering prices on each little parcel separately, maybe selling one off, being stuck wondering what to do with the rest... it's just not gonna be worth it.

(ETA: Tiering down to the Premium bonus 512 actually gives you the cheapest monthly land fee per sq.m. that a normal resident can own anywhere on the grid -- net of stipend. Subtracting the US$ equivalent of a year's worth of stipends from the annual Premium membership fee -- it's by far the best deal per sq.m. available.)

Large plot of land are an albatros... hard to sell and will drag you down. Better to sell them in small but good cuts, and start early.

You're getting in a bit too late... by about 2 months for the time you should have budgetted.

But you can still subdivide it up into ideal 512 and 1024 cuts, set them for sale at a cheap rate, and then when the date comes abandon anything left.

Somewhat wrote about this just the other day: http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/about-that-dead-land-market-in-sl/ 

valuable and intelligent input, i thank you for taking that time..

pretty much then, from what i sense, is that what i have is bug ger all :)

Therefore, i should dump my preconceptions, along with the land, Leaving any preconception behind and dealing with the new, is not easy for the preconditioned..  :)  i look very seriously at the replies here..  - thank you...  continue please...

i put up the whole quarter sim at 3 lindens per square metre, and it sold instantly.. so guess i underpriced it.. but no big deal, i got what i wanted quickly, and so did the buyer..  digital land  is not real despite its value.. its like art...  and hey, i know folks pay for digital sex...  :)

I think you did well.  Yeah, maybe you could have gotten more, but not too much more, at least not without waiting a long time for a buyer.

Also, I hope and expect that the new buyer appreciates all the time and effort that went into assembling a quarter sim of land from the ravages of past land cutting.

Digital land, as you say, isn't real -- but the fun that can be had with it is as real as any other fun (and rarely requires tidying-up afterwards). :smileytongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.