Problem with Connection! Pls help!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everyone!!

I have a problem with Second Life Connection!

It said that there may be a problem with your internet connection or the Second Life Grid.

The problem is that the internet connection is in the labs of my univrsity and i dont know what i should do..

Does anyone know what i should do?

Thank you in advance!!

You would have to contact the network administrator of your university.  But I going to guess you're connecting wirelessly to the university network whic presents a problem that the administrator will not be able to resolve.  You need a consistant connection in order to stay connected (or even to connect at all).  A wireless connection, under the best of circumstances, is not reliable in that regard (meaning it's difficult to have a good connection to the servers with a wireless connection).  And you are on a network that is shared by quite a number of users.  The chances of getting a solid, reliable connection is greatly reduced (probably impossible).

Talk the the network admin and see if they can help you.  But, don't be surprised if they don't go out of their way to fix a connection to SL.  Afterall that network is for students doing research or other educational activities.  You're going to have to do some fancy talking convince the admin that SL has much to do with your scholastic activities.

Thank you for your replay!

I need to connect with second life to do a live presentation in my project. I tried to connect with the computers in the lab and with my laptop.

I am going to talk to the network admin but im afraid that they dont know what exactly should do. So im asking if anyone knows what i should tell them to fix that problem :( 

Tell them you need a Ethernet connection.........a direct connection with a Cat 5e cable.  I'm also sure the network is firewalled so they would probably also need to allow Second Life through both the software firewall and the router (hardware) firewall.  They are the network experts, not me.  It's pretty hard to believe that they don't know what to do.  Have them visit the SL Wiki or Google SL.

You can test to see where a problem may be. See: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. The article tells you what you need to know when telling your ISP, or IT peeps in your case, what the problem is.

As Peggy said, on a campus it is likely they have SL blocked. If not deliberately SL then some of the needed ports.

Also, see Using Second Life with a Firewall. This will have the technical info they need to open ports in a Firewall.

You will probably have better luck if you have your professor contact the IT department and request the connection.

You may also be able to find a proxy server that will allow you to conect through the campus Firewall. I wouldn't give it much of a chance because of the complexity of SL. But the viewers are designed to work with proxy servers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.