Blender 2.6x Tutorials for SL Clothing, Furniture?

ejohara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, :matte-motes-smile:

This is probably the bazillionth time you've heard/answered this question, but when I ran a keyword search I didn't find what I was looking for. If this has already been addressed, please don't hesitate to point me toward the thread.

Though I would much rather pay someone for already-made content, I was frustrated by the lack of clothing and furniture suiting my taste on the Marketplace. So in a surge of empowerment, I downloaded Blender 2.62.

I'm new to Blender and content creation, so I ran through the introductory tutorials on Blender Cookie and a few other sites to get a feel for the interface. Then I found Ashasekayi's wonderful step-by-step series on making clothing but I ran into a hitch almost right away. Deleting empties according to her workflow deletes all my bones, to start with. I assume this is because she's using a different version. I tried looking for other tutorials as detailed for my version, but came up short.

So my questions are: Is anyone out there using Blender 2.6x to create content? What tutorials would you recommend? If there aren't any out yet, how can a hopeful creator adapt the previous version workflows to the current one? Or, would it be easier to download a previous version? What advantages does the current version offer over a previous one with regard to creating SL content?

Thanks for your time!

As Luc said those Blender versions are the best.

Clothing and Furniture require different approaches.

Furniture you can build with your eye.

Clothing it's like 100% easier to export, and build from a Second Life model.

When it came to me learning I learnt stage by stage using keyword searches.

Start by: "Exporting Second Life avatar to Blender"

then "Making a basic shirt in Blender"

then "Rigging Clothes to Avatar in Blender"

I've yet to find a complete tutorial that goes from phase 1 importing avatar to the last phase rigging and uploading to Second Life.

I'm using blender 2.62 and have successfully designed clothing on my own avie form in blender and brought them into second life.  The most useful tutorials were the ones you found by Ashasekayi.  She's use an older version of blender but with a little research you can find the couple of new steps that need to be found.  

For the bones... the vertex groups show up in a drop down panel under the properties tab section.  The learning curve is steep.  Good luck

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.