Blender texturing

Renegade Travesty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I am having a little trouble with a mesh model made using Blender 2.62. The problem is  I texture  the model in the uv editor of blender.

All the textures render in perfect positions but when I export the model to SL and preview it in the upload window the textures are all upside down. Is there something I'm missing whilst texturing. I have just started using blender so I maybe missing a setting / settings. Could any one help. Thank you in advance.:matte-motes-wink: 

If you see either one single or all 3 scale values are negative, then your object has negative scales:

negative_scaling.png

if you see no or 2 scales with nagative values, then you have no negative scale because

-1 * -1 == +1

although the Blender exporter or the SL importer might have other opinions about that :)

You can upload blend files for free to: http://pasteall.org/blend then post the link to the uploaded file. thats comon practice. If you want to secure your upload you can also add a password, so only who has the password can access the file.

The blend file you have uploaded has a mirrored UV face and i can see already in blender that it is mirrored. So it is correct that the textures show up upside down in second life. Fix as follows: (i assume you use the file in exactly the state that you posted to pasteall):

• u
  • unwrap
  • in the UV editor tweek the used UV space if you want so

--- in little more detail:

• go to edit mode
  • select the face that shows the mirrored(upside down) texture
  • press "u"
  • click "unwrap"
  • in the UV editor tweek the used UV space if you want so

i used blender 2.63 but it should be exactly the same for all older blender versions.

no. I am afraid you think too complicated :)

After unwraping like i explained above, the UV face is no longer square but rectangular. that is so because your model face is not square, so the UV unwrapper tries to keep the scale of your face intact.

But you had used the entire space in the UV editor before (for whichever reason) and i assumed you did that on purpose, so i wrote "tweek the UV face if you like so" or more exactly "make it as big as you like". But i certainly did not mean to rotate the UV face back to how it was before. heh, you wanted to get RID of the rotation. So it makes no sense to add it back to the UV face after unwrapping :)

also when you reupload your model after you did some changes, then it is often very helpful to click on the "reset form" button in the SL importer.

Thats how you tell the sl importer that you not just want to upload what the importer thinks that you want to upload, but that it should realy upload what you just told it to upload ...

Well, that SL importer is artificial bullishness at its best ... and i believe its gambling with us :)

I am curious as to why . When I unwrap a simple cylinder. The side face "not the ends or tops or bottoms" but the side always gets unwrapped upside down...

cylandarwhy..png

If I export this UV layout to edit in photoshop As it is, and then put text on that face. Then  Save the texture, and import it to my model in blender the text is upside down. . Wht do I always have to flip that uv face 180 just to get the text right side up?

Or is there no way around this?

PS 2.6.3 doesnt have that upload problem for me now

blender does not know that a cylinder is a cylinder. When you want to unwrap a cylinder then your best option is to unwrap a cylinder projection. take care that this type of unwrap works only as expected when you are in frontview or side view (assuming the cylinder length axis is oriented along the z axis)

btw, this might be of interest to you: 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.