Finally, sane script impact!

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I actually found the bug they are fixing to be very useful.  I have used volume detect of a phantom prim linked to solid prims quite a few times in my builds mainly for automated doors and elevators.  I am not a fan of collision detect on an invisible mat on the ground in front of the door because each step an avatar takes while on the mat triggers an event.  Volume detect just detects the avatar entering the phantom prims space and again when it leaves.  No need for laggy radars or triggering the same script a bunch of times.

Personally I think LL is making Land Impact overly complicated.  If it were me I have a set number of triangles to equal 1 prim.  Any mesh over say 20 meters in size you lose the lowest level of detail.  Meaning the object will simply not be visible once the distance at which the LOD would change to the lowest level is reached by camera position or avatar.  This would alleviate LL concerns about large mesh causing too much lag but still allow people to create large amazing mesh such as buildings, ships, space stations and other large mesh environments.  Without having ridiculously high Land Impacts.

The impact of scripts in mesh on LI I am glad to see LL doing something about.  Though really LL needs to do something more about the scripts that avatars are wearing seeing as avatars and what they wear appear to cause the vast majority of lag in SL.

While on one hand I'm happy that it appears a single scripted door, for example, will no longer double the server cost of my entire building, which is composed of many meshes, on the other hand it is going to turn some of my "land impact 1" objects into liars. The only solution to restore the truth will then be to combine the scripts.

And since I split the scripts in the first place to make them more efficent, combining them back into one script is going to defeat the intended purpose of this proposed change. I agree with their idea, but "number of scripts" is simply the wrong metric, too rough and ready.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.