Need help on mesh textures.

Randomquestionsaboutmesh11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a avatar model mesh in blender 2.62 fully rigged and working correctly/tested on the beta server.

Is there a way to "overlap" textures into one "square" texture? The mesh is two different parts and has two different texture boxes. When exported from blender 2.62 as an .dae file it is one object in second life. I can even try and edit and edit linked parts but cannot because it is one "object". (Dragging one correct texture for the body works for the body but messes up the head. Dragging one correct texture for the head makes the head good but the body bad).

Is there a way to combine my head texture and body texture together so when dragged and dropped on one mesh object in second life it renders correctly?

If you want to use more than one single texture on a single mesh object, that is achieved simply by separating your mesh into MATERIAL ZONES in your modeling program.

Materials work in the same way as faces do on standard SL prims - being able to accept totally independent textures and related settings (like when you drag textures onto the faces of a cube, change colouring, glow etc).
Each of these material zones on your mesh will be able to have its own independent UV-map and related texture. So in the case of your AV mesh, simply define one material zone for the head section, and another for the rest of the body. Your mesh AV will now be able to accept both the textures (with associated UV-mapping per texture).
Keep in mind that each material can also accept the exact same UV maps as well - they don't HAVE to be different. This can be very useful for mixing up appearances via different textures. Pretty versatile (keeping texture load in mind).

SL mesh objects can support UP TO EIGHT material zones - plenty enough for most requirements.

So, just separate out your AV mesh into relevant material zones in Blender, and you should be good to go.

:matte-motes-smile:

• Like 2

I'm not a Blender user myself (at least, not yet), so another forum regular will probably jump in here to instruct how to do this.

The actual concept of material zones is generic in the 3D workflow (not just SL, but pretty much anything related to 3D modeling). It's a pretty simple thing to achieve - usually you just create the materials you need for a project (usually in a menu or sidebar list), and then select groups of polygons/triangles to add to specific materials (hence creating material zones on your mesh). A very simple process, it's just a matter of knowing how to do it via your chosen program.

Most likely, if you do a quick google on Blender 2.62 and materials, you will probably find a video tutorial showing what's involved. I am pretty sure the procedure will be an easy one once you know how it's done.

:matte-motes-smile:

• Like 1

ello, i'll try and explain how i see it.

You have three chapters in building a mesh object. 

1. Making the Model. - general wizardly modelingy stuff

2. Creating the UV - Preparing the models surface for slapping the texture on (the not well mentioned important part of modeling)

3. Creating the texture - the fun part that makes it all look so awesome.

The bit you are confused on is chapter 2, UV mapping, or materials mapping. Basically its like priming a canvas to be paintied on. In blender the materials section is represented by a small checkered circle in between a triangle icon and a 4 stars icon. Here is where you can create 'Materials' layers to assign parts of your unwrapped UV. 

So you want to create two parts of your mesh for two seperate textures? well then you need to assign the two areas to two seperate 'Materials' layers. To do this you must highlight (select)  in edit mode all the parts of your mesh you want for one texture, go to materials section and click create new material then click 'ASSIGN' to glue the selected part to that material layer. Then you select the rest of the object you want to display texture 2, create another material layer, and click assign.

The resault should be that you have two material layers with areas of your model assigned to them, so when you export to collada and upload to SL hopefully you will now have two seperate 'FACES' to drop textures on.

Hope this helps in someway and does not just confuse you more. xD

• 11 months later...

Before we get to your questions, perhaps we should talk a little about forum etiquette.  You tacked your post onto the end of thread that had been dead for a year, and which had nothing to do with the questions you asked.  Both of those are no-no's, which are likely to annoy people, rather than make them want to help you.

I realize it was your first post, so you probably didn't realize.  So you know, when you have a new question that doesn't directly have to do with the topic of an existing thread, you should start a new thread.  And when a thread has been dead for a very long time, it's best to leave it dead.

WimRasmussen Constantine wrote:

How do you create a texture or assign textures to a mesh object that doesn't belong to you?

If any object doesn't belong to you, be it mesh or anything else, then you can't edit it.

WimRasmussen Constantine wrote:

or that you don't have the UV maps for?

If you don't have the UV maps, I'd suggest you apply a text pattern to the mesh, like this one, which will enable you to get a good sense of which parts of the model occupy which parts of the texture canvas.  Obviously, it's less convenient than having  the actual UV maps, but it'll do in a pinch.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.