Viewer will load but crashes everytime I try to teleport =/

Stephskitz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everything worked fine for me with the new viewer until today. I had no issues just this morning, but now im having problems.

First: When I loggged in it said that it had a problem loading my avatar but to carry on. I rezzed eventually.

Then: After all was good with that, I tried to walk and it was moving me all over the place and my legs were not moving.

Finally: After My legs started moving, I tried to teleport. This is when I got a message saying I was logged out of SL. I have tried many times now, and the same thing happens. I cannot teleport anywhere.

SL demands a lot of the computer - especially the graphics card and the internet connection.  For almost anything else you do the graphics are either much simpler (2d or static) or all loaded and installed on your computer.  SL is always changing so nearly everything has to come over your broadband every time you see it.  That's especially true when moving between regions/servers and all the communications between you and SL have to be renewed.

Wireless connections to modems can work fine for most things but with a wall or two and couple of metal/electronic devices (TVs, radiators, etc) between your computer and the modem the signal can be sufficiently corrupted that the stress of SL is just too much.

PS: Ping times to Western USA should be under 0.3s, packet-loss under 1%.

ETA: AGGGhgghh!  I was typing the above while you were checking connection figures.  Those are so really bad.

Stephskitz wrote:

Okay so it says:

Packet Loss: 49.295 %

Ping Sim: 6588msec

What these figures mean (in technically-inaccurate but honest terms):

Ping - it is taking your computer and SL 6 and a half seconds to exchange each message.  You might have had a REALLY bad 'phone conversation once where your voice went 8 times around the world by satellite and you heard it 'echo' at the other end?  Imagine if your voice took 6.5s!  Now imagine how long that is in gazillion-gigahertz revved-up computer time.  Not good, to say the least.

Packet Loss - as cause and effect of the long ping almost half of the message have to be tried again, and again, and again because they are garbled, out of order, etc.

You'll appreciate that computers just can't work when their communications are in that state.  First thing you can do - as mentioned - is make sure your computer is physically wired to the modem.  If that doesn't cure it the next thing to check is your modem/router setup.  If you feel confident enough reset it, otherwise you'll need to contact your ISP/computer support and have them check your line.

well this is just fantastic.

The only thing I dont get here is that I have not changed a thing with my connection and it worked fine yesterday and earlt this morning, but now it isnt. Nothing that I know of is any different,

Well I will try to figure something out. Than you so much for the help and explaining everything to me.

Your Internet connection is dependent on a number of things. It could be; your computer, your router and/or modem, your ISP could be having problems, your ISP's ISP (backbone provider) could be having problems, SL's ISP could be having problems, the SL network could be failing, and/or the server your connected to could be having problems.

You can follow the steps in: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection to figure out where the problem is.

Once you know then you'll know who to talk to.

Often a quick fix is to restart your computer and the router/modem. 

A number of people in the UK were complaining about problems. I forget which ISP it was.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.