Texture Changing HUD

Apple Pumpkins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I work with mesh, and I have been trying to look around for a script that well... this is the problem. I haven't got a clue where to start. I look online and see script, and argh. I am experienced with mesh, but scripting and coding on the other hand. I don't even begin to know where to start.

I guess I am just looking for any help with it. The end product would ideally be a HUD which will display texture options for a particular mesh, and apply those texture changes on the object.

Also, while I see it working say 1 texture to 1 mesh, would there also be a way to for example apply a group of textures to a group of linked parts within a mesh by clicking on just the one picture. For example a sofa or something with 3 parts, 3 diferent textures, but the parts are linked. Would there be a way to change all 3 textures with the click of one button on a HUD?

I really do apologize for my completely dumbstruck approach with this, I am just stumped as far as scripting goes.

To be honest I'm a bit lost as to what your question(s) actually is/are.  This possibly has more to do with 10pm on my birthday than with what you have written - apologies.

If you wish to display several textures at once you either need to edit thumbnails for them into a single texture and use http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlDetectedTouchST or you need to torture a prim (or indeed create a mesh) so it has one face per texture facing the owner (and then use http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlDetectedTouchFace)

There are many, many, texture-changer scripts available so I take it that isn't your problem.

You can't have "linked parts" within a single mesh so I have no idea what you mean by that.

You CAN have up to 8 faces in any mesh object - and texture as many or as few as you like in one go - depending on how you make it in the first place.

Basically, you are looking for a dialog-driven script in which each of the button choices swaps out the textures on two or three prims (or faces) in your object.  You could certainly write a script to do that  -- or someone could.  As Peter says, there are a zillion texture changing scripts loose in the world.  If you have a mild sense of adventure, you could modify one. Take a look at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/DialogMenus to get a feel for what's involved. If you are not familiar with LSL scripting at all, you should probably post a note in the Wanted forum to attract a scripter who will write it for you. 

Happy birthday! :) Yes of course sorry I meant the whole 8 faces thing when I said linked parts with a mesh, it's late for me too haha I'm surprised a single word made sense to anyone.

I have a touch texture changer script already, but I was looking for something which was visually nice to go with my creations; something special and unique. Like a HUD designed like a fabric samples book or colour samples book which the user would click to apply the texture to said object.

I see them a lot on clothes, and especially on mesh clothes as most of them aren't mod yet still have alternate textures applied via HUDs of some sort.

I guess my problem is linking the HUD 'button' for a wood texture for example to the object itself. I imagine it's done via an ID or something applied to an object, and the texture is held in the button itself in the HUD. But again, I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about haha.

I have tried looking at both links you have provided but... I can't even begin to make sense of what either of them are talking about. :? *sigh* I feel so useless, and apologies again.

Ultimately the HUD has to talk to the clothes to tell it what texture to use.  This is some variant of llSay().  The clothes therefore need to llListen().  Once that's sorted the only question is which - or all - faces to texture at one time.

There are several issues, as you said - from presenting the different texture options in the HUD to which faces are textured by what combination of clicks.  We're here if you need advice, otherwise, yep, it's the sort of thing you need to pay for.  (Ela may wish to quote for the work ...)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.