SL Viewer crashes frequently

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just did a complete upgrade of my system : Specs below :

CPU : AMD FX-8120 BE

Motherboard : MSI 990XA-D55

Memory : 16 Gig DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX Genius

3 TB Spinpoint F3 Samsung Harddrives

GPU : Sapphire HD 7870 OC 1Ghz Edition

OS Windows 7 Ultmate Edition 64 bits

All installed on a clean OS with blanc discs, updated till the latest versions and latest drivers. Yet, the official viewer V3 crashes within 10 seconds or less, while the 3rd party viewers keep on running. I know what you going to say : use the 3rd party viewers then, but IMO the Viewer 3 is giving me a better image quality over all the others and such I want to use the official one. What might be wrong ???

You are probably having a VRAM crash... you can read the SL log to see if you can get a hint of what is happening.

Also, if you have Advanced Catalyst settings enabled, that may contribute to your problems. So, try turning Advanced off... so I can't be more specific. I run nVidia and was listening to a discussion about the problem by TPV dev's.

Also, before you login turn all your graphics setting down to LOW. Once logged in use the advanced settings to begin turning features back on. Don't change the LOW-ULTRA slider. That will change a number of setting all at once. You won't be able to tell which is the problem.

There are a number of problems with VBO, so turn those features off/disable.

The Beta version of the viewer has a number of memory pool fixes and better VRAM management. So, give it a try. 

There are other testing project viewers. One of them may work for you. I find that the current Development Viewer crashes in about an hour and half. You'll find the links to the testing projects in Alternate Viewers, look toward the bottom of the SL Download page.

These are test viewers. So, they may be better or worse for you. There is no way to know. But, they do install in a separate folder. So, you can have them all installed at the same time.

BE WARNED: If you use the uninstall program in any of the test viewers or for that matter any of the SL uninstall programs they will wipe out all your SL installs... wipe out as in break. When you want to remove them, manually delete the program folder. Otherwise, plan to do a clean install to get a working SL Viewer.

The uninstall will also wipe out your chat logs. You can get a handle on how to work with multiple viewers and avoid problems by reading: Second Life Clean Install

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.