Creating Clothing Folds/Creases in Maya or other

Leviathan Flux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been struggling with figuring out how to make clothing folds and creases look natural rather than just a bunch of squiggly lines.  So far, my workflow has been to subdivide the model in Maya, then use sculpting tools as well as trying soft select to manually pick out points to pull out or push in.  I have also tried tools in Mudbox.  

I would greatly appreciate any tips for this process, links to tutorials, etc.  Also, if any of you are interested in helping me in depth with this process, I can exchange tips for rigging, constructing buildings and phsyics models, making UV maps, or keeping models low prim.  

Here is one of the outfits I am currently working on...

Tunic.png

Thanks for the suggestion, Dilbert.  I have enough experience with nCloth to make something like a table cloth, but looking for some tips a bit more specfic to working with clothing as simply making pants into an nCloth model, for example, would cause them to fall off the AV.   Do you know how to use nCloth for making this sort of effect?

Essentially we are making Playstation 2 quality game characters in Sl, witht he limitations of that format as well.

For wrinkles you have to be artistic about it, in that you have to remember the fundamentals of cloth drapery, compression folds, and stress  lines.

Completely separate from this would be any book on depicting drapery in drawings and paintings. While I am not a fan of Byrne Hogarth's art books, his book, " Dynamic Drapery" covers the basics.

SO what you ahve to do is model the wrinkles inthe mesh, using the art lessosn and observations from life.  Also very careful weighting in high polygon situations can me used to create wrinkes for moving areas of the model aroudn the elbows and knees.

--Karl 

• 1 year later...

Is this program any good for making clothes for SL though. Sure it makes awesome looking clothes but is it a viable option for a SL clothing designer who wants to utilize mesh in their products? How will these highly detailed meshes rig to the SL body? Can the SL body be imported into this program so that clothes can be modelled around them?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.