is it possible that the IM chat cronology is saved on the computer?if yes does it have a password?

Lara Arunian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

If you're talking about chat logs, they are saved on your computer. I believe saving them is automatically enabled (local chat is not automatically saved, if I recall correctly, but private and group IMs usually are.

Open your viewer, go to your preferences, and look under Network and Cache (I think - otherwise check Chat). There should be a URL-style box that contains the location on your computer where your chat logs are stored. You can even choose to open the chat logs from that window, rather than hunting around your computer for them. The times are saved in the individual chat logs - so if you and I spoke, you would open the document labelled "Ariel Vuissent" and everything from all of our past conversations would be in there, timestamped and everything.

ETA: No, no password required.

Chat and IM logs

By default, Second Life automaticallys saves local chat and IM conversations to log files on your hard drive.

Log files

Log files are saved to a location that depends on you operating system:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\SecondLife\Avatarname\chat.txt
  • Windows 7 and Vista: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\chat.txt
  • Mac OSX: Users/Username/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/Avatarname/chat.txt

Where Username is your system account name and Avatarname is your Second Life username.

32px-KBcaution.png Important: You may need to enable your file browser's ability to view hidden files to access your chat logs at their default location. 

Refer http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Text-chat-and-instant-messages/ta-p/700155

To enable Hidden Files & Folders in AppData:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open “Folder Options”
3) Open the “View” tab
4) Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press OK and close Control Panel.

Yes, they are local.  Your operating system's file permissions would apply, so if everyone logs in as the same user, everyone who uses that computer will have access to your chat logs.  Always set a password to your login on your computer and make sure you lock your screen or log out when you're not at it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.