I have been playing for a while with not much problems, now I am a white dot and will not stop, Help

Lydiaunold

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been playing for a while with no problems much but being log off or pushed off but today for some reason I am a white dot. I wasn't a first but I teleporting to a free gaming place and started having problems, so I left and went to a free sandbox. Next I went to where I go dancing all the time and there was no sound all of a sudden. Then I logged off and came back on the sound came on but I didn't. I am nothing but a white spot. What is going on? Please help. I have just talked several of my friends to try this out and this is not helping if I can't show up. Lydiaunold.

4 answers to this question

All the issues you discribed are symptoms of a connection problem.  The most common source of connection problems originate in your home network.  And the most common cause of home network problems is one of two things.  A wireless connection or your router needs rebooting.  To fix the wireless problem ditch the wireless and get an Ethernet cable and connect via that method.  To fix the router needing rebooting unplug the router from it's electrical source and wait 3 to 5 minutes before plugging back in..........then reboot your computer to re-establish your Internet connection (you might as well reboot your modem while you're at it since a modem can cause a connection problem too.

Detach the items your avatar is wearing one by one, I have had this problem on the Singularity viewer, and the eyebrows were the culprit though I have heard of people whose eyes made them clouds.

Also Peggy, white clouds aren't so much connection problems, the sound may be, but not the cloud problem. My connection is pristine, yes I called my provider when I had this problem, it was the eyebrows that somehow borked my avatar and I immediately showed up when I detached them.

• Like 1

Hello Lydiaunold ,

i had the same problem a while ago , but now it's better .

First of all Go to the Advanced tab , and than go to Character => Character Test => Test Female/Male 

When  you do that you'll look like a noob .. after you see your newbie avatar change your clothes and skin and shape as it used to be , and you'll see your lovely avatar once again :)

Good luck , hope that helped you .

@ iCade

"...

Also Peggy, white clouds aren't so much connection problems, the sound may be, but not the cloud problem. My connection is pristine, yes I called my provider when I had this problem, it was the eyebrows that somehow borked my avatar and I immediately showed up when I detached them."

------------------------------------------

There's almost an endless list of possible reasons for the "cloud" avatar (also known as "Ruthed avatar").  One of the most common causes is the communication between the user and the user's viewer to the Linden Lab servers not working properly or, in some way, gets messed up.  That is a connection issue.  Where that occurs can be anywhere between the user's keyboard and the LL asset server where the avatar data is stored, retrieved, and sent back to the user.  In most cases that happens pretty flawlessly but not all cases.........and when something happens to disrupt or interfere with that communication the very first place to look is at the easiest (and very common) source of the problem.  That source is the user's network (which consists of the network interface, the wireless or Ethernet connection to the Internet portal, the router and the modem).  Routers and modems tend to stay turned on 24/7 for weeks or months at a time..........and almost all home routers and modems have small memory leaks which will cause problems in the data traffic being constantly transferred to and from the user (SL transfers a lot more than just regular Internet surfing).  To dump the memory (clear the garbled data) and start over it's necessary to reboot the device with the memory leak (just like it's sometimes necessary to restart Windows machines that stay on 24/7).

It's an easy process and something that is very often the source of the issue..........that's why I said to try it.  But that is in no way the only issue that could cause the problem.  In your case with the bald cap, that was the issue...........but that's just one more thing that could cause the problem.  And there are a lot of things that could cause the problem.  When trouble shooting or trying to fix a problem that has so many sources for the problem you have to start somewhere.  And the logical (and most successful) progression is to do the easiest process that is a common cause first, then move the next step.  You don't ever discount something until you eliminate it as a source. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.