saving preferences in Niran's Viewer?

Kobuk Farshore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I use Niran's Viewer solely for machinima and photography, and another TPV for everyday SL. If I edit preferences in any viewer but Niran's, those prefs are saved for my next login-- eg. if I have graphics maxed out or UI icons in certain places -- but Niran's reverts to its original settings every dang time I relog. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a certain way to save settings?

It wouldn't bother me much if I didn't use Niran's solely for high-end graphics, but as it is, every time I crash or relog I have to spend a few minutes adjusting all my settings and icons, and it gets frustrating. Help? :)

---

ETA: @ Val: Thank you. :) I sent Nyll an IM so maybe she'll have a suggestion when she gets inworld.

@ Innula: I've tried saving the graphics preset at the top but it doesn't seem to do anything? If I give my settings a name and hit "Save," and then relog, when I come back inworld the drop-down for Graphics Preset is empty, everything is reverted to mid-settings, and hitting the "Load" button does nothing. I'm not quite sure what my issue is. I can create, edit and save windlight settings just fine and they're in the viewer when I relog, but nothing else seems to stick.

ETA 2: Fixed! Thank you so incredibly much, Nyll; deleting the user_settings and cache has made all my settings stick. I'll give the Save/Load solution a try as well. Possibly it's time to join SLU; I didn't know Niran posted there. :)

ETA 3: Thanks on all accounts, Niran-- between Solution #2 and #3 on your blog, saving and loading presets works perfectly for me and nothing reverts on relog. I deleted everything in graphics_presets also, although my settings weren't reverting after dumping user_settings. Happy. <3

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. :)

13 answers to this question

At the very top of the General tab on the Display panel is an option to save, backup and load different sets of preferences, I think.

ETA  Solved it, I think.   I had to fiddle round with the security settings (on the Properties tab of the folder) for C:\Program Files (x86)\Nirans Viewer\app_settings\graphic_presets to make it so the viewer could write to that folder.   Once I could see my settings file  (which I had named "Recent") appear there as Recent.nv  things started to work as advertised.

• Like 2

Hi Kobuk,

I've never been able to save or reload settings from the Save/Load buttons either. I give them a name, click Save but it never reappears to Load either during the same session or a new session.

However, unlike ywhat you seem to be experiencing, the settings I am on when logging off hold when I next log on, they don't revert to Niran's original. When Niran releases a new version, he usually says to delete your existing user_settings (in Roaming) before installing the new release and I'm wondering if you did that. I'm only guessing that may be the problem. Try uninstalling NIran's viewer (basically just deleting the Niran's folder in Program Files (x86) and then delete the user_settings folder in Roaming > Nirans Viewer. Then download and install the latest version just released yesterday. You'll have to redo all your settings again but maybe they will hold this time.

I see Innula posted a similar question yesterday on saving settings on Niran's SLU thread and Raindrop explained why they may not be saving but I'm not quite sure what she means until I log in again later and see.

His SLU thread (last page) is http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/alternative-sl-clients/64897-nirans-viewer-fixed-51.html and he usually answers questions within a day. If after doing what I suggested above does not work in at least holding your settings from one login to another, I suggest you join SLU and post a question for him there. He usually answers within a day. If I manage to get Raindrop's comments on saving settings to work, I'll let you know.

Edit: Suggest you delete the cache folder in AppData > Local completely too, there is some connection between user_settings and caching that Niran explained in a previous post on SLU. http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/alternative-sl-clients/64897-nirans-viewer-fixed-48.html

• Like 2

Solved it, I think. I had to fiddle round with the security settings (on the Properties tab of the folder) for C:\Program Files (x86)\Nirans Viewer\app_settings\graphic_presets to make it so the viewer could write to that folder. Once I could see my settings file (which I had named "Recent") appear there as Recent.nv things started to work as advertised.

Thanks Innula! You do seem to have cracked it. For Kobuk, I'll detail exactly what I did so she can reproduce.

Opened up C:\Program Files (x86)\Nirans Viewer\app_settings\graphic_presets > clicked the Security tab > clicked users ('username'-PC\users) in top panel to highlight it > clicked Edit button > clicked the boxes for Full Control and Modify, the rest will autofill except Special Permission which you don't need > clicked OK and closed the windows.

Now when you Save your Preferences in the viewer, it will appear as a [name].nv file in this graphic_presets folder and you can load it.

Hi Ko!

Refer to the Permalink on my first reply to you for Innula's solution which I have confirmed as working. If you log in as an Administrator, which Niran must do as he never explained this solution, you don't need to edit the Security tab as all boxes are already ticked but if you log in as a user (even though you may be an Administrator as well), you have to edit the Security tab for the Save/Load option to work.

• Like 1

Kobuk Farshore wrote:

ETA 2:
Fixed! Thank you so incredibly much, Nyll; deleting the user_settings and cache has made all my settings stick. I'll give Raindrop's solution to the Save/Load thing as well. Possibly it's time to join SLU; I didn't know Niran posted there.
:)

That's great Ko and you're very welcome!

Forget Raindrop's comments, use Innula's fix for the Save/Load as detailed in the Permalink under my first reply. It works!

EDIT: Added it in below too.

The SLU thread is the best thread for Niran's viewer and any issues that arise.

Here is the solution:

Opened up C:\Program Files (x86)\Nirans Viewer\app_settings\graphic_presets > clicked the Security tab > clicked users ('username'-PC\users) in top panel to highlight it > clicked Edit button > ticked the boxes for Full Control and Modify, the rest will autofill except Special Permission which you don't need > clicked OK and closed the windows.

Now when you Save your Preferences in the viewer, it will appear as a [name].nv file in this graphic_presets folder and you can load it.

• Like 1

I never offered that solution because i never encountered this Windows "Administration" issue (i log in to Windows as Administrator at all times , i do not have any other login).

However , thanks for finding and solving this issue , i will write a solution with link on my blog later.

Also , PLEASE DO NOT use any delivered presets that might be in a Release (they slipped in accidentally....i forgot to delete them when i was testing) they will set your video card informations to a GTX 460 resulting in a "reset" of your settings every login because the viewer detects a different card (at which the Viewer automatically reverts graphical settings in order to prevent complete failures due to video card downgrades etc). Loading my preset , then building your settings on TOP of that and then saving it will also cause this issue endlessly because you load the GTX 460 and later save it into your preset , every time you load YOUR preset now it will start reverting... really evil "issue" but nothing i can do about it except not delivering any Presets anymore (or deleting the video card information out of my presets).

EDIT:

Updated my blogpost , please confirm if those are correct

http://niranv-sl.blogspot.de/

• Like 2

Niran V Dean wrote:

I never offered that solution because i never encountered this Windows "Administration" issue (i log in to Windows as Administrator at all times , i do not have any other login).

However , thanks for finding and solving this issue , i will write a solution with link on my blog later.

Also , PLEASE DO NOT use any delivered presets that might be in a Release (they slipped in accidentally....i forgot to delete them when i was testing) they will set your video card informations to a GTX 460 resulting in a "reset" of your settings every login because the viewer detects a different card (at which the Viewer automatically reverts graphical settings in order to prevent complete failures due to video card downgrades etc). Loading my preset , then building your settings on TOP of that and then saving it will also cause this issue endlessly because you load the GTX 460 and later save it into your preset , every time you load YOUR preset now it will start reverting... really evil "issue" but nothing i can do about it except not delivering any Presets anymore (or deleting the video card information out of my presets).

EDIT:

Updated my blogpost , please confirm if those are correct

http://niranv-sl.blogspot.de/

____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the update and advices Niran. For Solution 3 in your blog you have  "Right-click the graphic_presets folder and select Preferences". That should read "select Properties".

I haven't tried Solution 2 yet but will tomorrow.

Nyll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.