Problems with Blender and Fitted mesh .blend

jordanit0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I'm having some trouble with the fitted mesh blend file.  Im using blender 2.69 and when I export the male mesh as a dae file with SL/open sim rigged checked all I get is a very messed up mesh in SL.  Also had this problem with 2.68a.

So I tried uploading the dae file that comes with the download from the SL fitted mesh wiki and that was fine.  So I imported that into blender all the weights look the same but then when I try to export and upload that dae file all I get is this.

blender dae.png

Anyone else getting this problem?  Is it a blender problem as I dont have any other modeling program that exports as dae so I cant try with them.

Am I missing something should I be using different export options?

Thanks jordan (jordanit0)

Yeah I have rigged mesh before, I was uploading the male mesh that came with it as a test to see what it looked like using the new bones that have been added before I started to rig something I made to it.

All I done was open the fitted mesh male blend file checked to see if it was parented to the armature which it was.  I clicked export as dae file with the standard sl/open sim rigged option didn't change any of the other options that it enables.

Opened up the new LL viewer went to upload mesh model check the include skin weights option, then I clicked the skin weights in preview and saw what was in the picture above.

I thought I would give your suggestion a try even though I guessed what as going to happen all that did was deform my avi to look like the picture in my first post. 

As I said I was able to upload the male and female dae file that came with the download with no problems.  But when I open that in blender and export as dea with sl/open sim rig checked the mesh goes all weird.

I have taken a look at Linden Labs Blend file and i found a few issues with it. I have fixed most issues except one major problem with "collapsing meshes" I made a video about my finds and fixes:

Hopefully someone can explain to me what happens regarding the remaining open question. Then we might find a fix, either for the blend file or for the Blender collada exporter.

Thanks for the reply Gaia :).

I never even noticed the missing bones :S Its very strange what happens the the mesh I was hoping the file would have been fix or at least the dae file as ive had that problem since they put the files up for testing months ago. 

So at the moment I have been using your plugin to make my fitted mesh and it works a charm.  I have had avastar for a bit now but never really used it.  I do lke the fact that I can just copy the weights from my non fitted mesh over to the new bones makes life a lot easier than having to rig it all again.

Hopefully the blend file will be fixed for other people to use. :)

HI,

I have taken all the weekend to understand what exactly happens here. I suspect this has to do with a feature that is available in Maya but not in Blender. I think the main problem is that Maya allows to define an arbitrary rest pose matrix (i hope this is the correct wording, i do not know the Maya terminology).

In fact the Volume Bones all come with an extra scale vector that is not available in Blender and thus the exported meshes get the "wrong" Bind Pose Matrix.

It may well be possible that Linden Lab can fix this, because the collada files are not wrong per se, but the SL Importer seems to expect something different. Actually this looks more like a bug in the SL Importer that bases the import on specific assumptions that are not fulfilled for collada files from Blender.

I am trying to convince Blender masters to add support for this rest pose matrix. But since Blender does not need it at all i am afraid we won't get this added to Blender, but i have not given up yet :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Here is the thread in the Blender reporting system: https://developer.blender.org/T38660

Please note that our Avastar Addon for Blender has its own Collada exporter and after i understood what the problem is i also found where this is fixed in our Export function  :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.