Group land, tiers, donations and bonus 10%

QuiverSyndrome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been searching the forum and I keep finding people saying different things. I will explain my situation to see if it makes a difference in the answers I receive.

I am looking to get the most amount of land I can for $25 per month, unless you can get money back somehow (see at the end)

The tier for $25 allows 4096sqm

Now, there will be 2 of us as premium members creating a group, so I should be right in thinking that if we both donate our 512sqm that should allow the group to own land of 4096sqm + 1024 = 5120

Additionally there is a 10% free bonus to groups so does that apply to the total? Making it 5120 +10% = 5632?

If that is correct, I am the one that will be creating the group and buying the land, so what is the best way to do it? I need to know all steps before I do anything. I haven't got premium membership yet and don't like to play around making mistakes.

Do I create the group, then donate my 512 land, my partner donates theirs, then I buy land anywhere under 5632?
This would be $12.50 per month split (25/2=12.5)

On another post someone said that you get $5 taken off the tier, another post said the 512sqm gets added. The problem is I don't want to spend $40 on the next tier ($20 each split) but if we both donated the 512sqm and got 2x$5 off it be worth paying the extra $2.50 to get the extra prims. (40-10=30/2=15)
Even if lose 1024sqm for getting the money off it be far more prims. Then I could get land of 7167sqm (8191-1024)

Here is quote from another post:

"First, if your land is group owned, the group can own up to 10% more land for free. So if your group owns a 4096 then you can add 409 extra square meters too it and still pay for just the 4096.. If both of you donate you 512 free tier to the group, you will get 10.00 off the tier fee. So your group can own up to 4505sqm and pay for just the 4096 minus $10US"

It was on answers section.

I would much prefer the option to have $10 off the $40 per month, how do I make sure I do that right?

As quoted, that post makes no sense at all, but maybe there's some context in which this "10.00 off the tier" can have some valid interpretation. (E.g., maybe somebody else had proposed some other ownership arrangement that somehow cost an extra $10/mo? Anyway, no, there's no magic $10 off tier.)

Your arithmetic is correct:

Now, there will be 2 of us as premium members creating a group, so I should be right in thinking that if we both donate our 512sqm that should allow the group to own land of 4096sqm + 1024 = 5120

Additionally there is a 10% free bonus to groups so does that apply to the total? Making it 5120 +10% = 5632?

The simplest way to do this is to go Premium on both accounts, have one change its allowed tier level to enable that 4096 (see https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php where allowed tier level is set), then both accounts contribute all their tier to the group. (If you don't already have the group, you'll need to create it and get at least those two accounts as members.)

Now you'll see in the group's Land/Assets tab that it has 5632 land available. 

To buy land, make sure your Active group is the intended land-owning group, then in About Land for the sale parcel choose Buy For Group.

(Buying land as an individual and then deeding it to group won't let you take full advantage of that 10% group bonus during the interval that the land is individually owned. There's a complicated way to do that using multiple groups where one is momentarily without enough tier, but it's just way simpler to Buy for Group -- as long as you remember to have the correct group active when you do it.)

Incidentally, if you really want to use more land for less money, you might look into Mainland rentals.

Qie Niangao wrote:

(Buying land as an individual and then deeding it to group won't let you take full advantage of that 10% group bonus during the interval that the land is individually owned. There's a complicated way to do that using multiple groups where one is momentarily without enough tier, but it's just way simpler to Buy for Group -- as long as you remember to have the correct group active when you do it.)

Incidentally, if you really want to use more land for less money, you might look into Mainland rentals.

You want to be careful about this. If you buy the land as an individual first and then deed to group you can get double whammied on tier because LL treats it as a change of ownership.  I found out the 'hard way.'  You want specifically to buy for group.

And Qie is right.  You can probably save a few dollars a month renting that size plot split between two people.

Thanks, I've seen that person say about the deduction on a few posts and they seem to be a posting in forums regularly. I have been confused for days with the tiers. I'm sure the numbers are wrong in the examples on the tier prices page.

Example

Two. You hold 1024 sqm of land and donate 512 sqm to a group.

Subtract your 512 sqm bonus lease.

Your Monthly Land Use fee is US$8.

$8 is for 1024 so they subtract half but price is still full?

As long as my calculations are correct and I can create a group, both of us donate our 512sqm premium to the group and then I buy up to 5632sqm for the group I'll be happy as long as that keeps me under $25. I will look into renting mainland for cheaper, I just don't like restrictions or the risk of buying from people. Buying from LL gives me more peace of mind. Shame I couldn't trade the free land in for $10 off the next tier tho.

Thanks again for the info!

Example

Two. You hold 1024 sqm of land and donate 512 sqm to a group.

Subtract your 512 sqm bonus lease.

Your Monthly Land Use fee is US$8.

$8 is for 1024 so they subtract half but price is still full?

I think I can explain that. It's strange wording, but what they're saying is that the account in the example owns 1024 as an individual and donates an additional 512 to a group. The account needs to cover 1536 sqm to do both of those things at the same time, so with the 512 premium bonus they only need to pay $8 to get that additional 1024.

Definitely not the most intuitive choice of example, nor wording of how the example works. But this SL landowning stuff is just inherently tricky, too.

I thought that might be it just after I posted, things are so tricky, so many ways you can end up spending more than you thought. Buying land before donating to a group may cost double for instance. But that's why I came to you guys to save me the pain hehe. Thanks again it's much appreciated!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.