Getting rid of the particle effect of script chat?

anselm Hexicola

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

You know that whirling particle effect that shows on-screen if a script is making Chat? Well, I want to disable it.

I have been UP and DOWN the Debug Settings in the official viewer for a while since, looking at possible groups like "Display...x" or "Show ..y" and (I thought) everything in between - but I just cant see it!

Anyone know where it is / what it is called?

[edited = reply to Rolig]

Aha!        "... you can use llRegionSayTo, which also doesn't generate swwirlies."

Nice one.

[edited again]

...umm, Rolig, I don't get rid of those damn swirlies with llRegionSayTo()

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is what I tested inworld :-

{
    state_entry()
    {
       // llSay(0, "Hello, Avatar!");
    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        llOwnerSay( "Touched.");
        llSleep(5);
        llRegionSayTo(llGetOwner(),0,"Touched again ...!");
    }
}

... swirlies both times for me.

2 answers to this question

Informally, they have been called "swirlies" for as long as I can remember, but I don't think they have a formal name.  As far as I know, there's no way to disable them, but there are ways to make them less annoying selectively:

1.  They are particles, so you can blank them on your own screen by killing ALL particles with CTRL + Shift + Alt + =

2. If you want your script to send messages ONLY to you, the owner, use llOwnerSay instead of llSay.  You will still see the swirlies but nobody else will.

3. If you want your script to send a message to only one known person, you can use llInstantMessage, which doesn't generate swirlies at all or (if the person is in the same region) you can use llRegionSayTo, which also doesn't generate swwirlies.

anselm Hexicola wrote:

[ .... ]

...umm, Rolig, I don't get rid of those damn swirlies with
llRegionSayTo()

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is what I tested inworld :-
default{    state_entry()    {       // llSay(0, "Hello, Avatar!");    }    touch_start(integer total_number)    {        llOwnerSay( "Touched.");        llSleep(5);        llRegionSayTo(llGetOwner(),0,"Touched again ...!");    }}

... swirlies both times for me.

Just in case you didn't see my reply to your private message ...  That's a bummer.  Maybe the llGetOwner() call in your llRegionSayTo puts the swirlies back in.    If so, that's not much of a solution.  Sorry about that. The swirlies for both of them should only be visible to you, of course, not to other people in the area.  That's a small consolation, perhaps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.