Is it possible to see your own player-model in first-person mode?

arbouretum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So basically I just started playing. I made a character, found cool stuff, bought cool stuff, did cool stuff, all that stuff, but one thing brought me right out of the game: i can't see myself in First Person. Sure, it isn't a game-breaker per-say, but I was just wondering, is there anyway I can mod the game or something to make myself able to look down and see my character from their point of view?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Hi Arbouretum,

I think you want "Mouselook", which gives you the "avatar's eye" view of the world, with the exception that your avatar vanishes, so you can't look down and see your feet. You can get that view in one of several ways:

• Press the "m" key. That toggles into and out of Mouselook. This only works if you've not set Preferences->General->Pressing Letter Keys: Affects movement rather than Starts local chat.
  • Open the "Camera Controls" by clicking the Toolbar button that looks like an eye, then select the little icon that looks like an old two button mouse.
  • I think "Camera Controls" might also be available from the "Me" (SL viewer) or "Avatar" (Firestorm viewer) menu.

The Camera Controls window also shows icons for front and side camera placements.

Welcome to Second Life!

What you're asking is a contradiction in terms.

"First person" means "from the character's point of view."  That is, you appear to be looking out at the world from your character's eyes.  By the very nature of things, you can't see yourself from this view, any more than you can watch yourself in Real Life.

There is a partial exception.  In Real Life, you can look down and see your own body, or see your arm if you stretch it in front of you.  You can do this in SL's first person viewpoint (called "Mouselook") too...it's one of the settings in Preferences, "see avatar in Mouselook."  Look for it under CTRL+P, Move and View tab.

If you want to see ALL of you, from any angle you can do that too, but that's no longer a "first person" viewpoint.  Hit ESC to exit Mouselook.  Your camera returns to its default position, above and behind your avatar.  To change that position temporarily, use "camming."  See this blog post for details: http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2012/06/camming.html

To change the rest position of you camera permanently, you can adjust its angle and offset in the Debug settings, found in the Advanced menu (CTRL+ALT+D).  Some viewers have additional ways to adjust this, such as the PhotoTools button in the Firestorm viewer (symbol of a camera shutter iris.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.