"upload" shutting down Viewer

krystalpepper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I try to upload images SL shuts down. I have re-install every time I want to upload. I have tried this with SL Viewer, Phoenix, and Firestorm. No matter which I have to uninstall then re install the viewer and I can upload all I want. But once I shut down SL and restart it it will no longer let me upload.

This happens as soon as I touch 'upload" from the drop drown menu. I am open to suggestions and would appreciate and help on this issue.

2 answers to this question

Make sure your images are accepted by SL:

Supported image formats

Second Life supports TGA (32-bit supports alpha channel), PNG (24-bit supports alpha channel), and BMP. When you upload an image, the Viewer internally converts it to JPG2000 for optimized future transmission. For best quality, try to avoid uploading JPGs; their already-compressed quality degrades further because of the double conversion.

Texture sizes

Textures should be as small as possible — texture size is highly context-sensitive so it takes experienced artistic judgment. For example, if you're texture-mapping a tiny pebble, its detail can be negligible compared to a giant tree in the same scene. For general use, 512x512 is a fair balance.

The maximum resolution for an uploaded texture is 1024x1024 pixels; if you upload a bigger image, it is scaled down to 1024x1024 pixels. Even if you have a fast Internet connection and a top-end graphics card, your computer can only display a finite amount of texture data.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Uploading-assets/ta-p/700165

It sounds as if you have tripped over https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28843 .  If you have recently installed Microsoft's SkyDrive or the comparable Cloud Drive program on your computer, it will interfere with several kinds of file operations in Second Life, causing you to crash.  You have two possible solutions:  (1) remove SkyDrive from your computer or (2) follow the instructions written by Latif Khalifa in the JIRA that I referenced above.  Both solutions work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.