Viewer Freezes at Initializing VFS

Sparks Zarco

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

First off I will start with my computer's Specs.

Windows 7 64bit

4 GB DDR2 6400 Ram

2.0GHZ Intel DualCore Processor

Nivida Geforce 7 Go 256MB dedicated video

Ok so I already have run SecondLife on this computer before and just the other day it stoped working. The viewer freezes up at "Initializing VFS" and all I get is an empty box. It does not even show the login screen. Now I have googled this problem all night and the only solution I am able to find is about manualy clearing the cash and uninstalling and reinstalling. I have done ALL of this and nothing is working. Mind you that I am a Computer Tech and I still can not figure out this issue. All of my Drivers are also updated, that was one of the first things I checked. I also updated Java, Flash Player and Quicktime as well. I used to have this problem before because I did not have Microsoft C++ 2005, 2008, and 2010 installed, and also all of the Net Framworks, but this is all up to date and still nothing is working. If anyone has any other solutions please let me know. Thank You.

4 answers to this question

Strange that clearing the AppData folders didn`t fix it, that is usually all it takes when you ge that error suddenly without changing anything. It sounds like it didnt` start after a viewer update or anything correct?

There are folders in both Local & Roaming on Windows 7, so make sure you got rid of them both & rebooted. If you did already find both, see if you get the same error on another viewer. Firestorm is a good one to test with if you haven`t used it before, because it installs to a different location.

Hello. Try this.

1) Uninstall the viewer.

2) Use a program for delete damaged archives like CCleaner or another of your preference.

3) Delete the instalation folders from your viewer. Before uninstall, take a look at Preferences/Advances and take note about the folder's paths for logs and cache. Try delete all the stuff inside the folders, but you save logs, preserve that.

4) Now, you must clean the "regedit". Start/Run/regedit. You must see a windows divided in two parts; folders and archives. In the Edit Menu select "Find" and write in the box "Second Life". the sistem shows you many Folders or archives wich you must delete one per one. Some cases, only the archive, some others, the complete folders. If you use F3 the window will be showing you the next archive/folder to must delete. When finish this procedure, change the keyword for "SecondLife" (without separation between words) and you could find more archives and folders for delete.

Often you can find here, the mother of all the troubles with SL. You could find a BIG list of instalation registered. Must be sure delete ALL the olds SL archives and folders inside.

5) Restart your computer and install again the SL viewer.

TIP: deactivate the automatic upgrade and do this in manual way allways ;-)

Regards, Adolfh

I'm having the same problem. Hell it was even working this morning (about 6 hours ago or so) but since this afternoon SL viewer won't even get to the login screen. It freezes at 'Initiializing' VFS and I've tried doing all that was suggested and even reinstalling SL viewer but nothing seems to work :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.